Royal Princess Cruise Review by trydz: Don't Listen to all the Negativity

Don't Listen to all the Negativity

Sail Date: October 2013
Destination: Transatlantic
Embarkation: Venice

The Royal Princess is an excellent ship and worth seeing.

My wife & I are both 62 and sailed on the Royal and found her to be different from the other ships yes but.. beautiful, expansive and pure joy to be on. If you are concerned, don't be.

Our biggest complaint is: All these old, Elite (read arrogant) and overweight cruisers complaining all day and night. Average age on board had to be above 70, average weight well above 200. So, let us please put the complaining in perspective (other than older people simply like to complain).

Yes, the stairs amidships re for crew and for emergencies. If you want to walk, the walk fore or aft but... noooo.... most people COULD not or WOULD not walk so they used the elevators... for one floor. This caused the overcrowding of elevators. For us, not an issue.

The technology is amazing... on demand movies (over 60), TV Shows, live TV, GPS, music and.. if you missed a presentation/lecture in Princess Live, the More recording was on demand.. thus the reasons for Princess Live. The TVs were not 'out for days'.. user error, trust me.

Laundry taking too long. Oh... there were 3,000+ Elite passengers on board with yes, you go tit, free laundry. These people could not go a day without turning in laundry which overloaded the ship. Unless you are on a cruise where only retired Elite people go, no issue. I got my laundry back in 2 days, normal.

Only 2 pools... is not correct. There are 3, one is for adults only (thank you Princess). If you are going to pick a cruise to go swimming, go to a beach, OK?

Oh.. I cannot put my drink down in the Theater. here is an idea.. don't drink so much. Really? You need to set a drink down for a 45 minute show? Wow, how can someone complain about this? The aisles are plentiful IF you walk around to the side but no one would walk and extra 2 feet to avoid inconveniencing anyone. The theaters is huge, amazing and a joy. Many complained it was too loud. Really, a live theater should be quiet?

Noise complaints.. sheesh. First, we had absolute peace and quiet. We know how to choose a cabin. Everyone we met who complained about noise and vibration.. we asked, "where is your cabin?". You guessed it... bow or stern. Wow, you mean you have a room over the engines and the propellers and you thought it was a design flaw that your room had more motion and vibration? Same with the bow and wind noise or... getting a cabin below the upper deck. WHAT ARE YOU THINKING? Take a course in cabin selection, OK?

There is no bar in the Vista Lounge.. a complaint? Thank You Princess. Now, you can actually listen to the show/music without someone making noise in the back at the bar. And hey.. elitists... stop talking when the show is on, OK? You want to talk or drink? Go to a bar or up on deck.

Now, the Promenade. Well.. let's start with the Atrium. It is amazing. Long, wide and the acoustics are awesome. One can listen to music on 3 decks.. wonderful. The Atrium is bounded by shops, restaurants, bars, sushi, pastry, coffee.. name it. Now.. where do you think the engineers got all that space? On the Emerald, peple complained that it was too narrow to walk through the Atrium. OK, solved here but where did the space come from? Yes, the Promenade. The life boats are pushed out over the side (vs. being over the Promenade deck) and now, we have all this extra space inside. it is truly amazing. So, personal preference.. if I had to choose.. I would take the larger space inside, more rooms, larger Atrium and simply miss the Promenade. Yes, it is nice to walk on but you know, for every get, there is a give. Ask yourself,, how often do you walk/sit on the Promenade vs. walk/sit/eat inside?

The bathrooms are larger with a shower you fit into.. thank you Princess. And.. there is a step to put your foot on so certain body parts do not hang out of the shower when you are washing your legs. I did not find the staterooms to be smaller... same as Emerald I think or very close.

Yes, the balcony is smaller. Very small, bummer. Interesting how everyone complains though.. for all the times I was on the balcony or looking over the side rarely did I see anyone using them. I didn't mind as I am happy having a larger bathroom/shower and if I have to give up a foot on the balcony, so be it.

The SeaWalk is amazing. Beautiful photos from the walk...

I certainly did not like the fact that the dress code was not enforced. I did complain about this. The again, consider the people on board and their attitudes towards.. well, everything. All retired, mostly from Florida and originally from NY, NJ or Miami. One person was screaming at the MaitreD that he had no right to stop him and he is going to his table. He made a big scene.. something Princess will avoid at all costs. What ever happened to common respect?

We enjoyed the food and found it on par with Princess cruises. The entertainment was awesome.. they brought in some folks from the West End. Wow. If only the audience would be quiet, not talk and.... get this.. not record using their tablet/phone/camera thus putting a bright LED in the faces of fellow passengers. Again.. Elitists can do no wrong I suppose. What ever happened to common courtesy?

So... when you hear all the issues.. forget it. there are pros and cons of building and change is inevitable. The Royal is a beautiful ship, sound, smooth ride, advanced technology... we loved it. If she is sailing a route we want, we would not hesitate to go back.

Now, if we could only get Princess to issue a manual on how retired Floridians should behave. Less

Read more Royal Princess cruise reviews >>