Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by DFWJenny: Celebrity Summit- Halloween Cruise

Celebrity Summit- Halloween Cruise

Sail Date: October 2013
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

DH and I arrived in San Juan a few days early. We stayed at the La Concha which was a great hotel. This is our second stay at the facility.

A few days prior to our departure on Summit, we received an email from Celebrity stating that we were not to arrive at the port until 1 p.m. due to an inspection that will be occurring. We changed our service to pick us up later. On the day of the cruise I got word from friends traveling on Summit on the repositioning that they were off early and that there were already people boarding by 10:30. We arrived at the port at 11:30 and onboard by 11:45.

The Oceanview was open for lunch. Nice selection of the food. Only ate at the Oceanview a few times for lunch, and found the food to be average. I did eat once at the grill by the pool and found the burgers to be really good and all made to order. What I didn't see in Oceanview was the customer service and interaction I'm use to onboard RCCL. Was not asked if I needed help finding a More seat, something to drink. No rush to clear a table of dirty dishes. Saw many of the staff standing around doing nothing. I was disappointed to see many elderly people having difficulty carrying their plates and trying to hang on to their canes/walkers, that were not provided any assistance.

We were in an Aqua Class room and found it to be standard in size. Nice having the slightly larger shower. Did find that it needed some repairs, but nothing I couldn't deal with. The robes, slippers and extra spa perks left in our cabin was a nice touch. We had fresh flowers that were changed out twice during our stay. I found our "printed stationary" a few days into our cruise. Our stateroom attendant, Sandy, was outstanding. He was quick to fulfill our needs. We only had to ask once for extra ice in our room. Found the extra bucket waiting for us each day. Asked for extra towels and we had them during our entire stay.

One of our perks was a private restaurant called Blu. I found the food there to be outstanding. I can't think of anything I ordered that I didn't enjoy.

Additionally, as an Aqua Class guest, we had certain spa privileges. The Persian Gardens was wonderful. Wish I had more time to use the facility. But only having one sea day limited my free time. I did get a facial while onboard. It was average as well. I was thankful that the technician didn't pushed the products. I did mention some of the concerns I had onboard the ship with her and she obviously she passed along my concerns to her supervisor. More about that later. My DH had a spa treatment scheduled for the same time and had a completely different experience. Actually, after waiting for 25 mins for his stylist, he left the spa without getting his treatment. He was quite disappointed and it wasn't for 2 days that he was contacted about his experience. I didn't find that to be very professional on their part.

We ate at both specialty restaurants and found them both to be outstanding. Normandy had so many great selections that we ate there twice. And we had lunch and dinner at Qsine. Both experiences were great. I felt the added fee was well worth it. I would go again.

We ordered a snack from room service one evening. We did this from the interactive TV menu, but realized we had questions. Once placing the order I called and felt I was imposing on the person answering the phone. He couldn't answer any of my questions… what is the soup of the day? Shouldn't one know that if they are taking orders? Felt very rushed and did not get my questions answered. And I didn't get the condiments I called for to begin with.

As RCCL Diamond Plus cruisers, I was expecting Celebrity to be a step above, but found it lacked in customer service and frequent cruiser amenities. The Elite nightly get together was only from 5 to 7 and was not offered on 2 of the nights. We were compensated with 3 drink coupons daily per person, but were very limited where we could use them. I didn't find the general staff to be as friendly. No one said hello unless I spoke first. I also found that some guest relations workers were rude. I walked by the guest relations desk a number of times and heard several speak down to passengers. I didn't find this was called for.

As an Elite cruiser, I was thankful for the 90 mins of internet per person. And I found the free bag of laundry per person was great and helped reduce the amount of clothes I brought onboard.

My comments in the spa about some concerns managed to make it to the Guest Relations Manager. She called me the next day. I generally provide my concerns on my questionnaire, but since she called, I let her know all my concerns. She was quite alarmed and followed up with me later the same day and I even received a call from the Oceanview Manager and the Room Service officer. I explained to them my biggest disappointments and they listened. Not only did I voice my concerns, but those concerns vocalized to me by others traveling in our group. Although it was near the end of our cruise, I hope my conversations with these managers made it better for for those in upcoming cruises. Less

Read more Celebrity Summit cruise reviews >>