Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by mspman

Oasis of the Seas
Member Name: mspman
Cruise Date: October 2013

Not completely worth it.

I take a cruise with my family every year. Normally we're on Carnival, however for this one we decided to try RCCL and go on Oasis.

Overall, given the price we paid, I cannot recommend RCCL over Carnival for frequent cruisers. The Oasis is an amazing ship, there is no question about it. Amazing. But, I had a few complaints:

I paid double for my cabin on RCCL than I would have on Carnival. I don't have a problem with that, but what was included for that price was what bothered me. The food is average, and if you wanted good food, you had to pay for it. Chops is $35 per person. That's ridiculous when I just paid $2k for a 7 day cruise and didn't even get a balcony.

The frequency of the upsells on RCCL is really bothersome. Go to breakfast, and there's lousy OJ and good OJ. The good OJ costs $4.50. Go to lunch, and there's nothing at The View, but oh look, Giovanni's is open! $15 please. It got really annoying.

There is no attention to detail on the part of the dining staff, and it's clear they have no restaurant experience. Our dining room waiter would sometimes bring my food 10 minutes before everyone else. And then, at times our completed plates would languish on the table for 30 minutes while we waited. They don't look at what they're giving to you and make an assessment if it's ok. At one breakfast, I got a toasted bagel that wasn't toasted, my Aunt got two eggs that were supposedly freshly cooked but were completely cold. No one seemed to notice, care, or think that it was an issue when we brought it to their attention. (That's the worst part actually)

Language was an issue. At times it was very hard to communicate with the crew/staff in English.

It's difficult to be spontaneous. Everything has to be planned in advance which can put a cramp in the day. "My time" dining is a joke. When I went to make a reservation I was given a choice of two times and that's it. Not exactly "My Time".

The food is "meh". Nothing to write home about… there were some hits at the Windjammer café. Certainly not up to par with the price of the cruise.

The Labadee port is a joke. It's not Haiti. It's an extension of the ship with a beach. I want to interact with real locals and eat real food. They just bussed food in from the ship and slopped it on our plates. And once they were done serving, there were no food options on the island. Frustrating.

There was a terrible smell coming from my toilet in my room for the entire trip. It was disgusting.

I was on the bottom deck (3), and was routinely woken up between 5-6am from banging and clanking below. I did not sleep nearly as much as I wanted to. (That room was $2k, btw).

The frustrating part is that RCCL markets themselves as an upscale cruise line with fine dining, great food, and great service. That's what I was expecting and I didn't get anything beyond what Carnival offered, and at times lagged behind.

In the end, I wound up extra-tipping only two people. A dealer in the Casino and one of the pool bartenders. No one else on that ship did anything to go above and beyond, only what was expected of them. Aside from the beauty of the ship, there's not much the Oasis is going to offer for the frequent cruiser or discerning traveler. We're back to Carnival next year. Yes, it's cheap, but I don't feel like I'm getting ripped.

Publication Date: 11/13/13