Seabourn Pride Cruise Review by gkvinnj

Member Name: gkvinnj
Cruise Date: October 2013
Embarkation: Monaco
Destination: Mediterranean
See More About: Seabourn Pride Cruise Reviews | Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Seabourn Cruise Deals

LuxuryOnly.com

Ship Facts: Seabourn Pride Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Seabourn Pride Deck Plans
Seabourn Pride - Beware!

Before I talk about the ship, etc., I must relate an experience that I found outrageous. After 3 nights on the cruise, as we entered for dinner, the sommelier pulled my partner aside to say that she had been observing that I didn't pay attention to the wine tating at the start of dinner and didn't savor each sip adequately. On this basis, she decided I am an alcoholic and offered to have me cut off of all alcohol and to counsel me during the rest of the cruise. Without being too defensive, we don't even open the 2 bottles of liquor in the suite and are never close to intoxicated at any time on or off the ship. Also, since I am a clinical neuropsychologist, I find her "diagnosing" particularly offensive. My partner didn't tell me about this until we left the ship because he "didn't want to get her in trouble."

Embarkation was very simple - we essentially walked onto the ship and since there was no one to greet us or direct us, we found our suite and settled in for a few minutes. In a while, we decided to go see where we were supposed to get our ship ID card. We then learned we missed going into the lounge where they were registering people. I suppose they would have noticed eventually. Disembarkation was equally simple.

As far as the ship goes, we found the smaller ship didn't offer nearly the experience that Seabourn's larger ships offer. We missed Seabourn Square and the cappuccinos and the added public spaces. The ship is old , but generally in good shape. The exception is the mattresses which are lumpy, worn out and uncomfortable.

The food on our last Seabourn trip on the Odyssey was outstanding. The food on the Pride was only so-so. The menu was seafood heavy (a problem for my partner who can't eat anything that lives in the water).

In addition, the kitchen seemed to feel if one sauce was good, two must be better. Often, it was difficult to taste the main dish because of the sauces. We think that Seabourn trains its chefs on the small ships and then graduates them to the larger ones. We also think that limited storage results in limited options (particularly meat). Since we were in the Mediterranean, seafood was replenished in local ports.

We chose this itinerary because we wanted to go back to Malta. Although we didn't necessarily expect much from the other ports, we were pleasantly surprised. Each port offered a slightly different experience which we enjoyed thouroughly. I wouldn't necessarily recommend the Seabourn excursions because I think you can do better with private bookings.

In summary, If you choose Seabourn, choose the larger ships and be careful how you treat the wine!

Publication Date: 11/05/13