Norwegian Gem Cruise Review by CNY Lake Effect

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Norwegian Gem Cruise Review by CNY Lake Effect
Norwegian Gem
Norwegian Gem
Member Name: CNY Lake Effect
Cruise Date: October 2013
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
See More About: Norwegian Gem Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Norwegian Gem Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Gem Deck Plans
Disappointed

I may be a bit jaded because I booked this cruise through a NCL agent and telling him my wife used a wheelchair he booked us in a stateroom with a tub! Every morning I was reminded how much this wasn't a vacation.

We tried breakfast in the MDR and although I ordered a highlighted breakfast of eggs, bacon, home fries and toast. The eggs and bacon arrived, no home fries and the toast came as we were leaving???

Magenta was better. The waitstaff often didn't understand the offerings at dinner but pointing at the menu helped.

Food was generally good though a medium rare steak was definitely medium in Magenta and rare in the Grand DR. There was a wide selection of rolls and bread but they were never hot or even warm. Made me think they were made elsewhere and defrosted onboard. The hot dog and burger buns were always stale, didn't matter if you were there when they first started serving or last on line that night.

Fruits and desserts were plentiful and according to my wife quite good.

They try to convince you that time doesn't matter on ship, so they don't have clocks! Being as they told me what time I was to board the ship, what time I could leave the ship and each night left a schedule of all the next days activities and their start "times". Maybe it wouldn't be a terrible idea to put some clocks around. On a true vacation I don't want to have to carry my cellphone.

Speaking of time we sailed away an hour and half late. After waiting an hour on deck it just got to cold to wait any longer and we were in our stateroom unpacking as we left the harbor. The music and activities around the pool had ended by then also. Those crew members probably had somewhere else to be by that hour. But time doesn't matter.

All the crew we encountered were cheerful and as helpful as they could be. Our steward was Fantastic.

Whereas embarkation day everyone was very helpful, dis embarkation was quite the opposite. There wasn't any assistance to be had while leaving the ship. With the wheelchair the additional luggage (overnight bag) walking backwards...downhill.

Publication Date: 11/05/13