Viking Sun (Retired) 2

“Never again”
Cruise review of Viking Sun (Retired)

audin
Member Since 2013

Overall Member Rating

Always fancied a Rhine Cruise but were put off by the price but eventually decided to give it a go. Sadly we were very disappointed. The places we visited were lovely but not Viking.

Arrived Amsterdam airport found the rep , it was 1hour 10mins before we left the airport for the ship, unacceptable. As a consequence we missed the buffet lunch and walking tour. Not a good start.

Our cabin 121 was on lower ,Main, deck. On retiring that evening we were greeted by awful noise in our cabin. This was constant and loud from the engine and passing river traffic, the Rhine is a very busy river. We had a sleepless night. We knew ship was full but reported noise and requested ear plugs, these had no effect. So we had to endure this constant noise every night of our cruise. Some other guests also agreed cabins were noisy. Glad we didn't pay the extra £1700 it would have cost to have a cabin on top deck, £1700 for a cabin exactly same as ours but with full length More windows, a lot to pay for a bigger window!

Dining : Breakfast good, lunch ok, dinner poor. Very small portions, I have a small appetite but several times I left the table still hungry. The hardworking staff were rushed off their feet so a long wait between courses and drinks difficult to get replenished. The food sounded good on paper but very disappointing when it arrived ( they seem to be very fond of mashed potato!)

When I booked was asked if we were celebrating anything so mentioned it was husband's birthday. The sales person said she would arrange a treat. Lovely gesture I thought. However... on birthday returned to cabin after dinner to find a towel rolled up to resemble a cake, husband and I were not impressed.

River Rhine area of Germany is very beautiful but not on Viking Sun. Less

Family & Children
Rates
Value for Money

Cabin review:

Very noisy from engine and passing river traffic. This was constant while ship moving so had disturbed sleep every night

Published 11/04/13

Helpful? Thank audin
Read Cruise Critic's Viking Sun (Retired) Review
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?