Pacific Pearl Cruise Review by Kalleroo: Pacific Pearl Oct 2013

Pacific Pearl Oct 2013

Sail Date: October 2013
Destination: South Pacific
Embarkation: Sydney (Australia)

Unfortunately nothing on board Pacific Pearl has improved since our cruise on this vessel three years ago!

Still they cater for the under 40s. P & O Europe have the right idea with two vessels that cater for adults only. We found children playing with the lifts, although this is not the ships fault but their parents.

As one family said to us, 'this is the bottom of the market isn't it?' That just about says it all.

With my husband on crutches trying to get out of lifts with women pushing in before we had a chance to get out of the lift sort of explains the market P & O cater for.

The Waterfront Restaurant are the professionals on board this vessel, they catered for my allergies most professionally, and I have to say a big thank you to Patrick, assisted by John and Emerson. Also a big thank you to the special chefs that make the allergy free meals, these are Ricoh and Barron. Thank you gentlemen you were a pleasure to meet.

Meals for More allergy suffers are ordered the evening before and even if we had to go up stairs to the Plantation self serve restaurant Patrick was at hand to bring me my meals.

Personally I wish the dining times would be set, either first sitting at 6pm and second at 8.30pm.

Our mini suite was kept and cared for by Levin very well, a most pleasant and friendly person, thank you Levin.

Toilets on board were always breaking down, which is not pleasant. I can only think that children were putting items in the vacuum system, as it had been explained on each voyage that only toilet paper provided should be used. But by the standards of some of the fellow passengers I think they would not see their little darlings from morning till night, as there was a lot of children playing in the lifts and running a muck on deck 12.

Having said that, there were couple families with very well behaved children, it is just a few that spoil things.

As our cabin was on deck 11 we can only recommend that people just do not book a cabin on deck 11.

We say this as noise in our cabin was 24/7. It was a very expensive mistaken on our behalf as we experienced the same disturbances three years ago on the same deck. Having written to P and O Head Office about this, one would have thought a cutesy reply would have been sent, but no.

The noise is still a problem, and just this morning I looked up the plans of all the other vessels belonging to P & O Australia and all their mini suites are located below the Sports Deck. The sports decks unfortunately have heavy timber deck chairs and tables, they are constantly being moved by people and it is very clearly heard below in the mini suites & cabins. So our advice is don't waste your money booking on deck 11.

Entertainment was dismal. It would have been so nice to have had some light classical music playing before dinner, but no! The only pianist was not very good and we did not bother returning again.

The Oasis was small, and once again like other public areas had rock music, nothing soothing or restful.

We thought as this was a South Pacific cruise some gentle south pacific music would and could have been played!

We like to cruise to relax and get away from the busy city life and switch off, but on P & O Australia cruise ships they don't know the meaning of restful music. We are beginning to feel they cater only for the under 40s and specialize is distorted heavy rock music, which is not our scene.

Shall we cruise with P & O Australia again? No way, I feel sorry for all those elderly people that were on this cruise and had to put up with the discomfort of revolting music. There must have been the same number of over 40s that were under 40s. So why they could not cater for the over 40s I don't know.

It has to be noted this cruise had a bad out break of novo virus, this then brought out additional cleaning, of the public areas; having said that other cruise lines do this on a regular basis. We think that the sanitization of all the public areas should be a regular process not just wait till there is a virus out break. Less

Read more Pacific Pearl cruise reviews >>