Norwegian Jade Cruise Review by Vagabondvoyager: Cross One Off My Bucket List

Cross One Off My Bucket List

Sail Date: October 2013
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Venice

I chose this cruise because the itinerary included Dubrovnik, Croatia. Dubrovnik has been on my bucket list for many years. Other ports of call were Koper, Slovenia; Split, Croatia; Messina, Sicily; and Naples, Italy. We had great weather and very calm seas. I was travelling solo on this cruise, so I was happy that I met some other singles at the Meet and Mingle set up through our Roll Call on Cruise Critic. I arrived in Venice the day before the cruise and stayed at the Best Western Olimpia which was a short walk to the People Mover to the ship. The hotel was quite pleasant and served a good breakfast in the morning.

Embarkation: Embarking took about ten minutes. I should say that I am a Latitudes member and was shown to a different check-in with no line.

Public Rooms: NCL ships are bright and colorful! The Atrium was cheerful and lively with piano music each night. Other public areas are cheerful as well.

Dining: Of all the different cruise lines I have More been on, I think NCL has the best buffets. There is a good variety and the food tastes good. The set-up of the buffet is a lot easier to navigate than on other ships. Another gem on the Jade and other NCL ships is the Blue Lagoon. It's open 24 hours a day and has light meals such as wings, burgers, fish and chips. There are two main dining rooms, the Grand Pacific and Alizar. NCL has open seating, which I prefer. If there is a back-up, you'll be given a beeper and a voucher for a glass of champagne while you wait. I don't think we ever waited more than 20 minutes to be seated. The food was good and well presented, but there were no shrimp cocktails offered and no escargot.

Cabin: NCL ships have the best showers! They are spacious and have glass doors instead of those annoying shower curtains. I had a balcony cabin which was great. There was ample closet and drawer space, but the desk area was a little small.

Service: The cabin stewards were great as always. Other staff in the buffet and dining rooms were always smiling and would greet you with a smile. The ship was clean and well kept.

Itinerary: This was a demanding itinerary with only one sea day. However, the ports were all interesting and I enjoyed all of them. I took shore excursions in each port with exception of Dubrovnik. In Dubrovnik I "walked the wall". Dubrovnik is completely surrounded by a wall. On top of the wall, you can walk around the entire city. It sounds easy, but the mile and a quarter walk has 1080 steps to climb. The views from the wall were spectacular!

Debarkation: Debarkation was painless. I took my own bags off the ship and was through customs in about 5 minutes. I took an NCL bus to the airport where I had plenty of time before my 11:30 AM flight.

Summary: This was a great cruise on a great ship. There were wonders to see in all the ports. In Slovenia, I loved Lake Bled. In Split, Croatia, I loved walking around the beautiful seaside village of Split. Dubrovnik was my favorite, but it was a hard pick. In Messina, Sicily, I took the tour to two small villages where scenes from the Godfather movies were filmed. In Naples, I went to Sorrento and Pompeii. Looking back, it was a wonderful cruise and it was made better by the friends I met through our Roll Call on Cruise Critic. Less

Published 11/04/13

Read more Norwegian Jade cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Jade Review >>

Compare Prices on Norwegian Jade Europe - Eastern Mediterranean Cruises

Cabin review:

I had a balcony cabin. This was my third cruise on the Jade so there were no surprises. I have to say that NCL cabins have the best showers. They are spacious and have glass doors instead of those pesky shower curtains.

Vagabondvoyager
Member Since 2011
137 Forum Posts
Family & Children
Rates
Value for Money
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?
Skip X