Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by jenny105: Not my favorite but it was fun...

jenny105
Member Since 2013

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Norwegian Breakaway Bahamas Cruises

Not my favorite but it was fun...

Sail Date: October 2013
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

I will break this review into sections so it will be easier to read!

Embarkation - a breeze. We arrived at the terminal around 10:30-10:45 and were checked in by 11:00. We received boarding pass 26 and we were on the ship by noon.

Vibe - worth the price! There were never more than 15 people up there and I couldn't imagine hanging out anywhere else on the ship. The pool was always a mob scene and it was nice to be able to go somewhere quiet & private for awhile. We snagged passes 34 & 35 so don't worry if you're not the first people on the ship - it's possible to get passes if you're not! I'm living proof. Courtney and Jorge were great bartenders and it was nice getting to know them throughout the course of the cruise. We always had the hot tubs to ourselves. Everywhere else people were packed in like sardines. If you can afford the pass, get it!

Dining - had BL&D at O'Sheehan's and everything was good. Breakfast at the buffet and Uptown Grill More were decent but they need to do something about the scrambled eggs onboard. Mush! We never ate at a main dining room for dinner but tried Moderno, La Cucina, Teppanyaki, and Cagney's. Teppanyaki was probably my favorite. Lunch and dinner at the buffet decent. Loved the soups!

Service - Not terrible but not great. There were no stand-outs, no one who really wowed me, with the exception of our cruise director Dan the Man. He was always full of energy and ready to have fun. Service in Cagney's was slow - I'm assuming our waiter was new because he looked very stressed! Most of the staff we en-countered in O'Sheehan's were not very friendly. Nothing that was going to ruin my cruise but would it kill you to smile? I used to be a server so I know how much it sucks but at least try to be a little cheerful.

Stateroom - Aft Balcony is awesome! After I saw the pictures of how small the balconies on the ship were we jumped at the chance to upgrade to an aft. Worth the cost! We were on deck 12 and I think our balcony was half the size of the room itself. It was great to lounge out there with a book and just relax. Only complaint about the room was that the water pressure in the shower is terrible.

Crowds - I do not think the Breakaway is equipped to handle the amount of passengers it can hold. Sure there's room for everyone to sleep but the public areas were always full. The pool was always crowded as well as the sun deck (so glad for Vibe!), we saw lines for lunch & dinner at the main dining rooms every day & night, and the Atrium....yikes! NCL needs to stop holding events there because it's just a clusterf*** Get there early if you want a seat and if you don't have one be prepared to get bumped, jostled, and have people stand directly in front of you to block your view.

Entertainment - Casino was always full and smoky. I could handle it for about an hour before I had to leave. We never saw Rock of Ages or Burn the Floor (zero interest) so I can't comment on those. Howl at the Moon was good but if you've seen it once...you've seen it. They play the same songs and tell the same jokes over and over again. Fat Cats Blues Club was great and they also show football games at the oceanfront part with the sound on. Nice! Fire and Ice were wonderful. No complaints there! 80s party is awesome!

Recreation - Used the main pool late night when there were less people around. Ropes course fun but a little scary in the wind. Got stuck on the zip line and needed some help on the way down lol. Saw this happen to quite a few people. Waterslides were EXCELLENT!

UBP - Worth it! Never had to worry about my bar bill because it was all taken care of. On a port heavy itin it might not be worth it but considering we didn't get off the ship in Nassau and we could use it on GSC, it was worthwhile for us.

Disembarkation - Oh what a fun time that was. You can exit the ship from the aft & forward. Everyone was waiting in the casino to leave so we went through the theatre and were off the ship in 5 minutes. We thought we were so smart - until we learned we had to walk toward the back of the ship and squeeze through one set of doors with all the aft disembarkies. Squeezing 4,000 people through two doors? Really? This may be the fault of the port and not NCL but still worth mentioning.

Overall I had a great vacation with a few ups & downs. We liked the ship but would I sail on it again? Probably not. I think this may be my first and last mega-ship but definitely not my last cruise with NCL. Less

Read more Norwegian Breakaway cruise reviews >>