Golden Princess Cruise Review by sassyredhat

Member Name: sassyredhat
Cruise Date: October 2013
Embarkation: Los Angeles
Destination: Blank
See More About: Golden Princess Cruise Reviews | Blank Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment Not Rated
Shore Excursions 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

FOUR GOLDEN DAYS

We are in our mid-late 60's and this was our 16th cruise. We live in So. Cal so it was an easy drive to the port at San Pedro (Los Angeles).

We arrived just before 12 noon, and found a parking space near the fence by the walkway to enter the terminal. It was a quick and easy check in. We were able to board with the other 'disabled' (I have a disability paper from the Dr.), who were actually boarding as we got to the waiting area.

We dropped off our carry-ons in our stateroom, which was ready for us, and headed to the Horizon Court/Lido for lunch.

I don't have any major negative things to say about this cruise, except that the scrambled eggs in Lido were really bad. Golden is an older ship, so the buffet is smaller, which limits the choices, but over all the food was pretty good there.

Food in the MDR (main dining room) Caneleto, was very good. We had early traditional seating at 5:45.

I had not advised PCL prior to the cruise of my gluten and lactose sensitivities. I thought I could manage it for 4 days, but our cruise friends did advise our waiter. As soon as Willy knew this, he helped me choose my meal, then got the head waiter, Jose, to bring a special menu for me every night.

Our waiter, Willy is well liked by the crew and is called Papa Willy by them. He and his assistant, Ricco, along with Head Waiter, Jose were great. Jose's wife is a chef on the ship, and she made my special dessert every night.

We did not eat in the specialty restaurants.

My favorite place to hang out is the IC (International Café) deck 5 atrium/piazza. Most food there is free and there is a good selection of pastries, salad--yummy chicken salad---and a few sandwiches. There are specialty coffees there for a price, but we didn't drink those on this cruise. Usually we buy a coffee card there. I was pleasantly surprised that the Lido coffee was not as bad as on previous cruise. LOL..

Burgers, hotdogs, and pizza at the pool grill were all good.

Our stateroom was C752, a corner aft balcony on Caribe deck. We loved this location. Very quiet and the balcony was larger, holding 2 reclining chairs, 2 foot rests, and a table. Loved this balcony !

Our cabin steward was Leo Angelo, and he was wonderful. Any requests were met ASAP, and he followed up by asking if we were happy with what he had done. He is a definite asset to PCL.

There were no formal nights on this cruise, which we enjoyed, but everyone did dress smart casual for the MDR. On the last night, many people did dress in nicer clothes.

There were casual photos taken on 2 nights. The photographers were pretty good, and we bought about 6 of them. Even though we have cruised 16 times, we use the cruises to have our nice photos taken every year.

This was a cruise to rest for us, and that we did !! We slept ALOT. We ate breakfast, napped if not ashore, ate lunch, napped, ate dinner, shopped, and slept again. We were tired. LOL

We did not go to any of the entertainment venues. Our tablemates said they were ok. We did enjoy hearing the different musical groups throughout the ship.

We elected to take the ships tour in Santa Barbara because I can't walk much. We took the trolley tour which was informative and fun. The description in the shore excursion section on the PCL website is fairly accurate. The architecture is fantastic. I would have liked to stay longer at the Mission, and to see the museum nearby, but we will do that next time.

The 2 men booked a private golf day. The SB Golf Club is nearby, just a short taxi ride.

We didn't get off the ship in Ensenada as we have been there many times. Carnival's Inspiration was in port with us, which was fun to see as we sailed on her last Sept.

Last time, we took the ships tour of the two wineries. That was a very interesting tour, and I would recommend it.

We had nice weather the whole cruise. Everything was so pleasant and easy. Disembarkation was organized and quick. We were in our car by 9:45AM.

PCL offered such a good promo because we had booked this cruise, that I came home and booked the Crown Princess for Sept. 20, 2014.

I know I may have omitted something. Trying to hurry and get this written.

Thank you Princess for offering these short cruises. We love them. And thank you Princess for a restful and enjoyable getaway.

Publication Date: 11/04/13