Bahamas Celebration Cruise Review by Too young to retire!

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Bahamas Celebration Cruise Review by Too young to retire!
Bahamas Celebration
Bahamas Celebration
Member Name: Too young to retire!
Cruise Date: October 2013
Destination: Bahamas
Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

I recommend this cruise for first time cruisers

The Bahamas Celebration cruise ship, although it is a converted ferry, actually sails like a modern cruise ship. It may not have all the bells and whistles, but the onboard staff is amazingly attentive to your every need. I have read many good and bad reviews on this ship. For the price that you pay for their 3 day jaunt to the Bahamas, it is an amazing deal. The food is good, not great, the dining staff is very well trained. Their is a choice of food for every taste at the buffets. The entertainment on board was amazing, much better than I expected. If you can, upgrade to an outside cabin with windows. It is worth the extra cost.

Embarkation is very well organized. The lines were never long. Going through customs in the Bahamas at Freeport (Grand Bahama) was a breeze. We stayed at the Grand Lucayan Resort, which was a free night included with the cruise. The staff there was friendly, but seemed mostly pretty bored with their work. Once you drew them out with some kind comments, they were more willing to interact with you. The restaurants at Grand Lucayan were mostly on a rotational basis. I guess with low season, there weren't enough tourists to keep them open all day, every day. The food at the hotel was so-so. Nothing to write home about and rather pricey. The drinks felt watered down and as always, extras were not cheap, so we stuck mainly to buying our own liquor. There is a very friendly marketplace right across the street from the hotel. The locals there were really friendly and desperate for business. You can see that like all other islands, the Bahamas are still in a recession due to decline in tourism. Our re-embarkation the next day went smoothly as well. The lines at the U.S. customs upon arrival in the Port of Miami was a tedious affair, with lines moving very slowly. The sooner you disembark in the morning, the faster you will go through.

All in all, this was a great experience. My husband and I met some really nice people on the cruise ship. We would recommend this cruise to everyone. I had never cruised before, and this was a test to see how well I would fare, as I tend to get seasick. I was pleasantly surprised at how stable the ship was for a converted ferry and am now looking forward to our next, longer cruise in April.

Publication Date: 11/03/13