Become a Cruise Insider
Tips, deals and more in your inbox.

Allure of the Seas Cruise Review by Cruising Senior48: Beautiful Ship - Lots of Fun

Allure of the Seas 5
Cruising Senior48
Member Since 2013

Compare Prices on Allure of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Beautiful Ship - Lots of Fun

Sail Date: October 2013

The Good and Wonderful:

The embarkation process was flawless; quick and no hassles. The room was ready when we boarded so we did not have to lug the carry-ons to lunch. The entertainment and shows were fantastic. Loved each and everyone of them. We loved the fact that we had everything scheduled and reserved before we got on the ship and when we checked in we got a schedule for the whole week that told us day by day what the dress codes were, etc. and even had a place to write down the times our shows and dinner times were each day. Really a great idea! We still got our daily bulletins for detailed happenings by the hour.

All the personnel we encountered were pleasant and very helpful and our wait staff for dinner were wonderful. We asked for Robin every night and were lucky to have him five nights out of seven. Very good service with a good flow; did not feel rushed nor did not have to wait.

The food in the Adagio Dining Room was great for the most part. We More did not care for the Caesar salad (I love Caesar salad) and usually have it every night, but this was too tart. The cream of mushroom soup is to die for! Next time on the Allure, I will have three servings of that along with the cheese rolls and forget about an entrée and go directly to the desserts because the pastry chef really knows how to make good desserts. I could eat the dessert trio every night if they served it that often (flourless chocolate cake, elderberry mousse with strawberry jelly and a light lemon cheesecake). Can you say yummy? Don't get me wrong, the entrees were wonderful but boy is that soup fantastic.

We had a balcony room overlooking the Boardwalk and it was fun to sit out and watch the people on the zip line, listen to the Dixieland band and just people watch. We could also see most of the show at the Aqua Theater from our balcony. Only complaint there is it was hot out on the balcony. I wish they could funnel some air through the area. I think it was due to the plastic safety railing on the balcony.

We ate lunch one day at "Rita's Cantina" and it was very good and so is Johnny Rocket's. Every night we had to go get milk and cookies for my husband and some pizza for me. The cookies and pizza were very good. I also loved the Coke machines scattered around the ship where I could refill my special glass (I had the soft beverage plan) with my own blend of Cherry and Diet Coke. My husband liked the Starbucks on board. We did not like the ice cream from the ice cream shop on the boardwalk, though.

Not so great was the food up at the Windjammer Café. The hamburgers and hot dogs were very good and of good quality but the other food was about the poorest I've ever had at a pool/Lido deck restaurant. The exception being the fruit. Hot food was not hot. The layout was terrible. Note to RCCL - all salad items should be on one round. I had low mein soft noodles one day that were so dry and hard I thought they were leftovers from the previous cruise. Often times the containers of food were empty and not refilled in a timely matter. The biggest problem was on the last day when we had to wait in line for 15 minutes to get a table at the Windjammer and they started taking off the food five minutes after we were seated. It was 8:30 in the morning. I know it was open until 8:30 but shouldn't that mean no more people are seated after that time but the food is left out so you can fill your plates after you are seated? My husband let me go first and they had almost all the food gone before he could get any.

My last complaint is the debarkation process. We were in the Studio B holding area and it was very hard to get to any seating with everyone having at least one carry on luggage. They called our number and then everyone has to climb the stairs and go out and climb another set of stairs or wait for the elevators to go up to deck 5. Why not have people wait in the dining room on deck five? You're on the right deck to get off the ship, you don't have to take the elevator twice - once to get down to 4 and then again to go up to 5.

Then the fun really begins. It took us an hour to get out of the luggage/custom area!!! That's at least three times longer than any other cruise we've been on and we had to walk back and forth in those snake like lines for what seemed like a mile. Truly the worse debarkation of any of the 19 cruises we have been on.

I felt sorry for the porters, they were losing all kinds of money during the process. Most cruise lines have special lines for passengers using porters. Most people who get porters are the older people who have trouble standing and walking for an hour. Why not direct them to special lines? Less

Published 11/03/13

Read more Allure of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Allure of the Seas Review >>

Compare Prices on Allure of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Cabin review:

When we got to our room, I was totally amazed at having enough hangers in the closet for both myself and my husband! Believe me, this was a first. We also loved the air conditioning system in our room. We could turn it down to sleep without a blast of cold air blowing directly at our bed and on our heads. The bad part of the room was the bathroom. So small. If you are average size or above with bad knees so you can't stoop straight down - don't drop the soap in the shower - if you do, you will take out the doors with your fanny. :-) I did like the fact that there was a short bar to prop your foot up so you could wash your legs and feet without taking out the doors. LOL. The sliding shower doors were great for the reason that the water stayed in the shower. The worse part of the shower was the water was always hot, hotter or scalding. I like a warm shower and cool water to rinse my hair. No matter which direction I turned the handle it was hot or hotter. Another complaint was the in-room safe; small and you had to pry it open. The beds and pillows were comfortable and for once the reading light on either side of the bed was actually bright enough for you to see the pages. Great job there, RCCL! The sofa was very comfortable, also and a nice sized TV. Our cabin steward, Raul, was great.

Skip X