Emerald Princess Cruise Review by Kazza57: Very disappointed

Very disappointed

Sail Date: October 2013
Destination: Canada & New England
Embarkation: Quebec City

We were really looking forward to our cruise, our first cruise was with Princess 15 years ago and since then have cruised with Star, Celebrity, Holland America, Seabourne & APT.

When we got on the ship this was the first one that we didn't receive a welcome drink... The ship left Quebec at 5pm and the muster was on when we left, we spoke to many people in our muster area - most of who had been on many other cruises, nobody could understand why the muster was organised to coincide with our departure...very disappointed.

We initially had any time dining but found that the dining room was empty or the waiters were cleaning the tables, we changed to the late dining and this was much better and our wait staff were great. The food was very average, I was disappointed that the menu didn't take into account the food from the area that we were in. I was told that the ship is stocked in Quebec and no fresh food is put on at any of the ports and it showed by the last couple More of days on the cruise. We went to the first high tea they held on the ship, it was about 1/4 full, we were offered one small bread roll then a scone and a couple of cakes....very disappointing as I have had much better high teas at my local coffee shop.

The entertainment was disappointing, the stage shows only seemed to last 30 minutes and the bands an hour or so. We would usually meet our friends at Club Fusion before dinner and listen to the band, after dinner we were going back to listen to more music and they had bingo on...really at 9pm!! This is the first cruise that we have been on that our average bed time was well before midnight, I felt sorry for the bands as there were very few people there and wait staff having nobody to serve.

The spa/salon staff were all very nice but you get sick of the hard sell of their products ever time you go there and you end up getting put off going.

The cabins are a good size but the shower/bathroom could be a bit larger.

Typically the day trips are expensive and we hired a car or organised our own outings.

A lot of the crew on this cruise were coming to the end of their contract and you could tell. The captain I saw once on the formal night pouring the champagne waterfall..he was there for all of 5 minutes and we didn't see or hear from him again. There really was nothing stand out about this cruise... The entertainment was average we have usually had a band playing around the pool area when we left ports but NOT on this cruise.

I have always raved to my family and friends about how much I haves loved the cruises we have been on but this trip has almost put us off cruising altogether. We were away for 5 weeks and the 10 days on the cruise were a major disappointment. Less

Read more Emerald Princess cruise reviews >>