Carnival Magic Cruise Review by Thecrush: Excellent Ship and Crew

Compare Prices on Carnival Magic Western Caribbean Cruises

Excellent Ship and Crew

Sail Date: October 2013
Embarkation: Galveston

My family of six just returned from our week long cruise to Roatan, Belize, and Cozumel and we had a great time.

Background: This is our third family cruise, and we had two adjoining rooms on the 9th floor balcony. Three adults, and children ages 16, 11, and 8. We bought Faster to the Fun and will do it again.

Hotel Info: We stayed at the Springhill Suites in Webster, TX, and would HIGHLY recommend the hotel to someone who wants an inexpensive but clean place to stay before embarking. The room had plenty of space, and was very open and comfortable. This is the cleanest hotel in Webster we have stayed in prior to our cruises.

Ship Info: We performed quite a bit of research on the ship and we were not disappointed. Our favorite places were the Serenity Deck (adults) and the Beach Pool area, SportsSquare, and kids' areas for the kids. The ropes course was closed for maintenance but the WaterWorks was on every day, including windy days.

Activities: the More 11 yr old loved the trivia, and 8 yr old preferred Camp Carnival. Parents especially enjoyed the RedFrog Pub and Spotlight Lounge for Comedy. I wanted to spend time in the Vibe and Piano Bar, but was too tired for late night events.

Service: Average to Better than average. The room steward was polite and friendly and knew my name after meeting him just once. I had to ask for ice time we wanted it, even though we had a bottle of wine in the ice bucket waiting to be chilled. He was very quick and seemed to know the minute we left the room. Dining room staff was courteous and fun, but we did not establish a connection with the staff as I have on other cruises. All the staff was very nice and polite, answering questions from the kids and dancing with them.

Excursions: We did our own excursion in Roatan (a private van tour of the island) and Cozumel (an all-inclusive day resort) and simply shopped at the port in Belize. Due to rain, the tenders were delayed and we took an 11:30 tender to port.

Cabin: The cabin was clean and as expected. The location was very nice, close to the Tides Pool and Lido deck.

Children's clubs: The 8 yr old was allowed to join the 9-11 group because her sibling was in that group. She loved the activities and was very sad to leave. The 11 yr old felt the kids were too young, and he was looking for more competitive activities with older kids but was too young to join the 12-14 yr olds. The staff was wonderful, and when the 11 yr old finally tried the activities, he had a great time. The staff truly seems to care about the kids and does a fantastic job keeping them entertained.

Entertainment: The four comics ranged from decent to good. Most were "blue" so if you are easily offended by sexual humor and language then you probably would not enjoy them. The family friendly shows were obviously tamer, but the comedians were not as funny for these shows. One comic touched on racial issues during the family shows, which my 11 yr old said was inappropriate. Overall, none of the comics were the best I had seen on a ship, but they were not bad either. We did not attend any of the shows in the Showtime Theater. The entertainment staff as a whole was absolutely fantastic and made the trip very memorable for the whole family.

Debarkation was a breeze with the Faster to the Fun. We were off the ship and in our car by 9:15 despite doing the "relaxed debarkation" option.

Summary: The vacation provided a little something for everyone and has many spaces to relax, whether your idea of relaxation is listening to music, lounging by the pool, playing sports, or playing games and mingling with others. Less

Read more Carnival Magic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Magic Review >>

We spent our day in Cozumel at Nachi Cocum. This is my third time to the private club, and each time I have had Carlos as our waiter. He does a fantastic job, and the club is awesome. My kids (16, 11, and 8) loved the large pool (complete with swim up bar) while I hung out in the whirlpool when I wasn't in the water. The sand here is very coarse, and the water has lots of rocks and seaplants so the kids don't enjoy the water as much as I do. In addition, it can be difficult to get out of the water, as the beach is short and a little steep, where the waves hit the shore. It's not terrible, but can be tough at times.

When you arrive, you are given a palapa and lounger, and the wait staff will provide you a menu. The nachos, tacos, and ceviche are my favorites, and I also love their Mexican Cheesecake. yum!

Read 3138 Cozumel Reviews

We took a private tour with Rony's tours and loved every minute. We delivered some school supplies to local neighborhood children, visited a grocery store to buy some candy for our kids to take to school as souvenirs, went to the Bodden Monkey farm, had lunch at Cannibal Café, saw several scenic lookouts, and swam in the water at West Bay Beach. We had booked an excursion to sit on the beach at Mahogany Bay, but the excursion was canceled because we docked at Coxen Hole due to a technical issue.

The trip was still wonderful and Roatan was the surprise of our trip. We really loved interacting with the locals, and everyone was so nice. We really enjoyed our day with Rony's tours and would love to do it again some time.

Read 1660 Roatan Reviews