Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by petewallnuts

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by petewallnuts
Adventure of the Seas
Adventure of the Seas
Member Name: petewallnuts
Cruise Date: October 2013
Embarkation: Southampton
Destination: Western Mediterranean
See More About: Adventure of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Dining 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment 5+
        3-6 6.0
Shore Excursions 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

Fantastic Cruise and Fabulous Crew

First of all I need to say I don’t work for RCI but I feel I need to put the facts and stop some of the total rubbish that’s being put on this site about Adventure of the Seas.

We have just come back from the Western Med cruise and had a fantastic time. I read a lot on Cruise Critic and some of it is utterly not true.

Good Bits

Food - The food was excellent and piping hot in all the restaurants. The staff work very hard to meet the needs of the passengers and they had time to interact with my 5 year old who loved it. We ate in all the restaurants and if you want high end dining then Portofino’s is the place for that but you do pay a cover charge of $20 each, it is well worth it.

Entertainment - The entertainment was good and the ice show is worth the effort of getting the tickets. We went to 6 shows and they were all good. It’s a cruise ship not the west end.

Pools - The pools are fine and not crowded. If you go in the summer holidays what do you expect. The kids pools and clean and my boy loved the water slide.

Children who are not potty trained cannot use the pools. I felt sorry for the little ones as the travel agents had not told them this. It happened to us when our little boy was 2 on Independence of the Seas. Travel agents not RCI need to get there facts right.

The solarium is super if you want adult time and we used it a lot when Ben was in his clubs.

Children - We use RCI for this and this alone. They are the best with kids, from the clubs to the in room babysitting it’s all very good. My little boy loved it and a big thanks to all the kids club staff who made his holiday. The babysitting is $19 an hour and is well worth it to get our nights out.

The children’s clubs are fun but educational and they work with the kids to promote a positive environment.

Shopping - The only thing that needs to be looked at is the shopping. We don’t want $10 dollar rubbish that some of our fellow passengers seemed to lap up. I also am not spending $5000 on jewellery. A big gap and one they need to sort out. Why not sell Pandora not a cheap copy.

Drinks - I love to read how people think the drinks are too expensive. Have you been to London in the last 20 years. They are fine ($7) £4.43 for a beer and ($8) £5.06 for a glass of wine.

The premium drinks package is well worth it and we would do it again. It includes house champagne OK it may not be Bolly, but it is fine. If you drink 5-6 drinks a day you will be happy with the return. On the matter of some drinks not being included thats right but the bar tender will offer an alternative. If you drink Hennessey XO then PAY FOR IT.

Excretions - We only did one and it was fine the price was fair $125 for the 3 of us and it was well run and interesting. We like to go off on our own and so don’t do them that often.

Bad Bits

I have in my time never met such a bunch of rude, freeloading, money grabbing, moaning people. As an earlier cruise critic contributor said, it’s not the young that are the problem it is the older people. We try to set a good example for our child and in the last 14 days, he has witnessed people being rude to staff, stealing and a complete lack of courtesy to fellow passengers. Having witnessed people taking large quantities of hot chocolate sachets, jam and marmalade pots, even trying to take the salt and pepper pots, we find this behaviour utterly pathetic. The staff work extremely hard for long hours and should not be expected to put up with the abuse that we witnessed in the vain attempt to try and get something for free. Trying to have your gratuities refunded in my opinion makes you complete scum. I have witnessed several people at the Guest Services desk wanting a refund of their gratuities they have no conscious. These people work for very low wages and rely on their tips. If you can’t afford it, then don’t book the holiday. My serious suggestion to RCI is to make 2 changes. 1) Put the prices up and send these people back to Fred Olsen and Saga and 2) charge for coffee you make nothing from these people. Their onboard spend is probably less than we spent in one day. If I hear one more person compare RCI to Cunard, I am going to put them straight. What a rude bunch of individuals you are. If it is so wonderful, what are you doing on here? Could it be the price?

On the occasions where we have had any issues, these are only very minor, it has been dealt with efficiently, generously and with the upmost professionalism.

I have vented my upset, so back to the good bits!

We met some lovely people and you all know who you are! Thank you for your company and companionship. To the crew, we thank you for a wonderful holiday and keep doing the great work you certainly have the wow factor! Javier our Room Steward you kept our room beautifully tidy, not an easy job with a 5 year old around! Brigette, Mariella and our other babysitters thank you so much. Savio, Vitela, Mac Allister and our other Waiters a huge thank you and to lovely Donald the Head Waiter thank you for making our evenings so special. And lastly to our Champagne Bar Staff, Allan and Stan you rock! Won’t forget singing the Muppett Song and the other crazy stuff we all got up to! And finally to Captain Henrich, what can we say, what an utter superstar! Both commanding but witty and a lovely interaction with the passengers. One of the best we have ever had on RCI. To finish this review, as the Captain would say "That’s all Folks”!

Publication Date: 11/03/13