Splendour of the Seas Cruise Review by dave1013

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Splendour of the Seas Cruise Review by dave1013
Splendour of the Seas
Splendour of the Seas
Member Name: dave1013
Cruise Date: October 2013
Embarkation: Venice
Destination: Europe - Greek Isles
See More About: Splendour of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Europe - Greek Isles Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Splendour of the Seas Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Splendour of the Seas Deck Plans
Great staff - mediocre food - disappointment

This was my fourth cruise (wife's first) and my first with Royal Caribbean. Given the totality of our experience, I would rate the cruise 2.5 on a scale of 5. The main reason for the average score was the quality of the food. It was really disappointing. With one exception, the servings were small, the presentation was uninspired, and the taste was bland. For example: their soups could have come out of a can for all I know. The cream of mushroom was advertised as having chunks of mushroom, but there were none. The lobster bisque had no chunks of lobster. The french onion soup was basically a spare consomme. Same kind of results for main courses and appetizers. We could have gone to Chops or Izumi, but chose not to. After all we paid for this cruise, I really didn't feel compelled to spend any more. The only really good meal was on the last night, when they served lamb shank. Huge portion, great food quality.

Breakfast in the Windjammer Lounge on deck 9 was intolerable. Crowded, people literally fighting for table space. It tended to bring out the worst in people. We did that the second day and then I said, "Never again!" My preference was to go to the King and I dining room on deck 4, at least they seat you there and you don't have to sink to guerilla tactics! Plus there was a buffet there that you could get what you wanted, for the most part. A much more pleasurable experience, IMHO.

Our cabin steward and the two gentlemen who took care of us in the dining room were excellent. This was typical of all staff on the ship. I kind of felt sorry for our two waiters, they did their best to "put lipstick on a pig" but in the end, the food spoke for itself.

When it was launched, the Splendour and its sister vessels were the largest in the RCL fleet. Now they are the smallest. The ship recently went through a renovation and we were pleased with our cabin on deck 6. It was on the outside of the hull and therefore, we had a balcony to enjoy. My cousin was right next door, and the panel between balcony cabins could be swing back so we could all sit together. Bathroom was a bit cramped, but you expect that on a cruise ship. The shower was great, plenty of hot water. The sink faucet had flow control and this was a bit of a pain but not terrible.

Cabins are outfitted with two European 220-volt outlets and two US 120-volt outlets. Starbucks right down the hall on our deck was a welcome place to get a cup of coffee in the morning.

I enjoyed our ports but time on land was limited and sometimes we had to rush. That's the deal with land excursions.

It's been about 25 years since my last cruise and the difference between then and now is telling. We will probably cruise again but not likely with Royal Caribbean.

Publication Date: 11/03/13
More Splendour of the Seas Cruise Reviews

Read the previous Splendour of the Seas review Read the next Splendour of the Seas review

More Europe - Greek Isles Cruise Reviews