Enchantment of the Seas Cruise Review by Cheryl H: A nice getaway and our son enjoyed Adventure Ocean as usual

Cheryl H
Member Since 2003
2,216 Posts

Cabin Not Rated
Family & Children 4.0
Value for Money Not Rated

Compare Prices on Enchantment of the Seas Bahamas Cruises

A nice getaway and our son enjoyed Adventure Ocean as usual

Sail Date: October 2013
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

We are diamond members and haven't been on Enchantment since 2002 (prefer Radiance class). I will try to include info about our pre-cruise plans, the ship, Adventure Ocean, and Coco Cay.

We arrived at MCO and rented a car from Avis. No wait at the counter. They told us which parking space to go to and the keys were in it and we were on our way. We did not take the insurance, but we did pay the extra 6 per day for the roadside assistance. Made sure the transponder was in the off position as we were paying exact change for the 2 tolls. The first toll was 1.00 and the second one was 1.25 (although we were told they would both be 1.25 so be prepared. Went through the change lane and threw our quarters in.

We chose Double Tree in Cocoa Beach. It's on the beach, has a restaurant, Publix grocery/pharmacy across the street, and very nice clean rooms. We had a 2 room suite. (king and tv for us, sofa bed and tv in the living room for our kid).

Enjoyed dinner at More Rusty's. Joined their eclub online and printed off a coupon for buy one get one half off. Don't sign up until close to your cruise though as the coupon expires in a month. Arrived around 4:15 and was seated inside and watched the first ship cruise past right outside the restaurant at 4:30. To get to the restaurants here at the pier area, take the B side exit and look for signs that say The Cove. That is what they call the area with about 6 or 7 restaurants right there along the water front.

Next day had a great breakfast at Grills (10% off by showing hotel key). Went back for dinner but I liked Rusty's food a bit better. Used the card again for the 10% off for dinner. We went to Kennedy Space Center all day this day (next day after arrival). We requested tickets from our state representative 6 months in advance and received complimentary tickets and free parking. Saved us $150. Top two attractions here are Atlantis and the Saturn V building. Spend the most time at those two places and fill in with the rest. By the way, Kennedy is 30 minutes away from our hotel and you do not have to pay any tolls to get back north to Kennedy.

Next morning we turned the car in at the Pt Canaveral Avis location just up the street from our hotel. Rode the free Avis shuttle to the ship. Porters were waiting to take our suitcases and we went in and were checked in within minutes. Had to wait a few minutes then until the ship started boarding. We were among the first in the Windjammer for lunch. I can see the problem here on Enchantment. The traffic flow was bad around the food in Windjammer as opposed to how spacious the Windjammer stations are on the Radiance class. The food was good and we were happy. Waited in the Schooner bar until 1:30 when the rooms opened up. We had junior suite 8670 (aft).

Our room had plenty of storage. The balcony was very nice with 2 chairs, a table, and 2 loungers. No noise at all. Bathtub and shower worked excellent. The new vessel sink with the tiny faucet was annoying. Our cabin steward was amazing. We had medicine that needed chilled for our son. He kept ice in our little cooler twice a day, plus he left extra ice in the ice bucket. The refrigerator would not get cold enough. We even had maintenance look at it, but they said it was not designed to keep medicine cold, just a slight chill on beverages. (I did not think the beverages felt cold at all). The room was great, but I agree the mattresses were hard. It felt like laying on a slab on concrete. My hips were hurting and I even noticed our steward put a double layer of mattress pad under the sheets to help, but it didn't help much. The only other comment about the junior suite is it is smaller than the junior suites on the Radiance class. No walk-in closet either.

The muster drill was HOT! Take a paper or some cardboard to fan yourself. Oddly enough they had mostly men and children in the front and the ladies standing in the rear at our station.

Adventure Ocean - our son is 8. They grouped 6-11 year olds together. Our son said there were about 20 kids in his group. Adventure dining was on nights 2 and 3 of our four night cruise. No entree choice like on other ships. Kids get cheese pizza and fries for dinner. Also there was adventure dining for lunch on day 3. Same menu. Pirate night was night #4. The pirate show was supposed to be on the centrum staircase although our son didn't want to do pirate night this time. He did enjoy all the times he was in AO though.

Fitness Center - my husband used it 2 mornings. He said it is hot in there. Needs some fans for ventilation.

The pool - some of the decking is new and was very hot in the direct sun. You will burn your feet if you try to walk to the pool barefoot. I was a bit disappointed that there wasn't a real pool band. They kept that tv going. One afternoon they had a show going that played gag videos almost like Candid Camera, but it was loud. After that it went back to music videos with loud music that also did not seem island themed, just loud and annoying. Not a fan of the big tv screen. Although my husband enjoyed seeing Superman on there and swimming with our son one night after dark. There was a midnight buffet at 11:30pm at the pool one night.

Main dining room - we went to the MDR 3 nights. Two of the nights I ordered the Chops filet with bernaise and mashed potatoes. Excellent. The second time, they overcooked the steak and quickly brought me another one and new bernaise sauce. The chef sent out chocolate covered strawberries afterwards. And our head waiter brought out a platter for our son with 3 small cupcakes (chocolate, lemon, and strawberry, with 3 kinds of sprinkles, and 2 squeeze sleeves of frosting (vanilla & chocolate). Our son enjoyed it. What a nice surprise. On formal night we went to Chops. It was excellent as usual. Had the soup and crab cake, filet, mashed potatoes, roasted potatoes, asparagus, and mudpie for me and red velvet cake for my husband. We tried the main dining room for lunch one day and were very pleasantly surprised. I ordered chicken tenders which came with some bland potato cucumber salad, but I went to the make your own salad bar in the center and had them make up a salad with lots of yummy things on it. They cut and tossed it and served it in a bowl to me. Very fresh and tasty. We did see one passenger grab some tongs and try to serve himself. They quickly removed the tongs and got fresh ones and served him. (The windjammer allowed us to do our own serving).

Coco Cay - we got off the ship early and walked around to barefoot beach area. Found a nice shady spot to sit. We saw a manta ray floating around and some small fish. Our son enjoyed the floating mat we rented. I think it was 16 dollars. By the way, we went to guest services during the week to see our seapass account and there was an 8 dollar charge as well from Coco Cay. Turns out it was an all day locker and we did not get a locker. Shore Excursions desk checked their logs and saw that we indeed did not get a locker and they removed the 8 dollar charge. (by the way, there are no interactive tv's to check your seapass account, but you can go to get a printout at guest services) We left Coco Cay just before lunch time to get back on the ship. We were getting too hot. The only options we had was to change and head to the MDR, or stay in our swimsuits and coverups and go to the Park Cafe.

Park Cafe - There's a sign board here that says what they have. So I ordered a roast beef sandwich and cole slaw (they also had potato salad). My husband ordered egg salad or chicken salad sandwich. The server looked confused and said all we have is what is in the case. My husband pointed to the sign and the server said pay no attention to the sign. So my husband went to our room and brought down Jif and bread for him and our son to eat PB sandwiches while I had my roast beef sandwich. The cole slaw was good, but I was not wowed by the roast beef sandwich. A couple nights we came back at 10:00 pm after Adventure Ocean to have some pizza. If you can catch the cheese or pepperoni pizza when it's fresh, it's not too bad. Not great, but not bad.

We did not get off the ship in Nassau. Had fun just relaxing while the other passengers were gone to explore.

One other note, I went shopping and went to the raffle for the Bella charm bracelet. I don't know much about Bella, but they looked like Pandora or Brighton charm bracelets. I found 2 that I liked. The first one was 39, and the second one they gave me 5 dollars off. I walked back to the centrum and sat down and took the first bracelet out of the box and immediately a charm broke in two right in my hands. I boxed it back up and returned both bracelets. I don't know if Bella is inferior, or if I just got a bad bracelet, but I didn't want to take a chance and just exchange it, so I returned both bracelets.

The only souvenior we brought home from the ship was a free picture we got with one of our coupons from the diamond books. By the way, they are still using the coupon books.

In summary, we were glad to take a short cruise to the bahamas and see the lovely beach at Coco Cay, but it was so hot all week. I think we are going back to cruising to cooler destinations, and hopefully back to Radiance class ships. Less

Read more Enchantment of the Seas cruise reviews >>