Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by dad2noah

Cruise Date: October 2013
Destination: Bahamas

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sky Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sky Deck Plans
4 Nights on the Sky

This was a very good cruise. This was my first cruise in about 15 years. The ship itself was a small big ship. You can tell it wasn't a newer ship, but there was nothing major to complain about as far as how the ship looks.

1st stop was freeport where we shopped at port luccia (sp?). After getting off the ship, it was a little confusing. The cab drivers were herding us like cattle. A stop at senior Frogs before getting back on the ship is a good idea. That's always a fun place.

2nd stop was Nassau, which was much better. Better shopping and just prettier. No cabs needed. If you want to go to a beach with watersports, go to Cable Beach. We chose to go to the beach close to the ships. That was fantastic. Aqua water and soft sand with plenty of huts to get a drink.

3rd stop was at the NCL private island, which was cancelled because of rough seas. We were HIGHLY disappointed. We were looking forward to laying on the beach all day. Instead, we were stuck on the ship. And to make it worse, the further we sailed, the worse the weather. So even being by the pool wasn't possible. You can't blame NCL on this one. Mother nature is at fault here. NCL went into plan B and added a bunch of ship activities to keep people busy.

The food was average. Typically, I don't chose a vacation based on food, but if you do,you might want to look elsewhere. We never dined at the fee restaurants, but chose to eat buffet style. There's a midnight buffet with a limited menu. But it's pretty decent. You can order a $5 pizza from anywhere at anytime as well.

Our room steward was fantastic. I forget his name. But NCL, if you are reading, he had room 0047 on the Oct 21st sailing. I wish the rest of the staff was as good as him.

And Rodolfo was an awesome bartender.

I don't usually complain, but I gotta tell ya... Other than the bartender I mentioned, the rest were awful. I don't think they know how to smile. And the attitudes were crap. I was shocked. From our first experience at the pool bar, to the last drink of the cruise, they made us feel like we were a bother. (Other than Rodolfo).

We had the unlimited drink package, and they were getting $1.60-$2 auto gratuity each and every time, and they made us feel like that wasn't enough. Don't get me wrong, I like to tip, but I never once felt like I should tip extra because of exceptional service.

The other staff were great, ship wide.

Beers are about $7, mixed are about $8. So do the math when it comes to choosing the drink package. Keep in mind, the first day you will spend about 12 waking hours on the ship. And on the private island, you use your room cards for drinks there too. So there's another 12 drinking hours. The drink package is $225 per person for the 4 night cruise.

I would sail with NCL again, but on a different, bigger ship. But if the bartenders are asses on the next NCL cruise, that'll be it for me.

We started the boarding process at 12:15, and were on the ship by 12:30. Room were ready at 1:00so that was pretty quick.

When it was time to leave, the line at customs looked awful. And it was, but it moved real quick. I'd say 30 minutes from cabin to cab.

Publication Date: 11/02/13