Diamond Princess Cruise Review by Patthecruiser: Rough Crossing but Great Cruise

Patthecruiser
Member Since 2009

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Diamond Princess Asia Cruises

Rough Crossing but Great Cruise

Sail Date: September 2013
Destination: Asia
Embarkation: Whittier

This cruise was a repositioning cruise to Asia after completing its Alaska cruising season. We boarded in Whittier and it only took minutes to get through the boarding process which was quite amazing. I later learned that 1,500 passengers had stayed on the ship and would continue on to Asia with us, therefore, not so many people trying to get on at once. We went directly to our room, which was the Cancun Suite, located at the bow of the ship. Within 45 minutes, we had our luggage in our room, which is something I have never experienced. As we unloaded our luggage, it was obvious that someone had been inside of it. I discovered that our bags had been rifled through by Princess and my one small bottle of gin had been removed. I learned that you are allowed to bring a bottle of wine or Champagne on board, but not a bottle of gin. I must admit, in all my 50+ cruises, I have never had my bags gone through…it was quite disappointing that this line would do this.

Food: More

The food in all the dining rooms was top notch throughout the entire cruise. Last year we did the transatlantic cruise on RCCL and the dining room food was horrible, so this was a great surprise. We had breakfast at Sabatini’s each morning and could not ask for better service, quality and the free Mimosas were a good way to start the day. On our first night we ate at Sabatini’s for dinner. It was good, but nothing I would pay extra for. Our dining room waiter and assistant were fantastic thanks Tommy from Thailand and Jorge from Cozumel, Mexico!

The entertainment on the ship was average, but what can you do when out to sea for six days in a row. Some great, others okay, but we had no complaints. Good music and dancing in the other lounges, so based on the length of the trip I would say it was excellent.

Spa/Gym:

There are not enough treadmills on the ship. I actually was told I had to get off of the treadmill while running because I exceeded the 30 minute time limit (which is fair-I just became lost in a movie and forgot time). People were standing around waiting for machines most of the time which was surprising for such a long cruise! The tranquility spa was excellent and having a suite gave us full free access, which we used each day. It has a steam room, hot beds, spa showers with several shower heads that massage you, and sauna. It is really beautiful and pampering. It cost extra if you do not have a suite, but worth a tour to see what you get, and you may want to pay the price if it is along cruise. We actually lost weight on this trip, which was nice.

Overall Ship/Crew:

The ship is beautiful and kept in immaculate condition. The crew was constantly cleaning and painting and the only thing I saw was the torn carpet on the very top running deck, but that was due to the 90 mile per hour gale force winds we hit on the first and third day at sea….and what a wild ride that was! Other than that (which was nothing) the ship was in perfect condition.

The crew was fantastic, friendly and very informative. We got a kick out of the stupid games that we all got into, which were put on by the crew. The Captain actually had a personality and seemed like a professional yet very nice. All good here.

Itinerary:

It was fantastic! We stopped at Sapporo Japan, Vladivostok Russia, Busan South Korea, Qingdao China, Dalian China and ending in Beijing China. All of the ports with the exception of Russia were fantastic. Spotless, great sights and fantastic friendly people.

Conclusion:

You cannot go wrong with a repositioning cruise as you get to see places you normally would never go to. We stayed in China another week and toured with a great private company (China Odyssey Tours) and saw the most fantastic sights. What a great vacation and what a great cruise. Less

Read more Diamond Princess cruise reviews >>