Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review by wee s1

Member Name: wee s1
Cruise Date: October 2013
Embarkation: Southampton
Destination: Canary Islands
See More About: Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Reviews | Canary Islands Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals
Member Rating   Not Rated
Embarkation Not Rated
Service Not Rated
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Staff Fantatstic on Canary Cruise 06.10.13

Just back from a 14 day Cruise with the same company we Cruised with 5 years ago(Celebrity Constellation) that got us hooked to Cruising. If you have not Cruised before I would strongly recommend going with Celebrity on your first trip.

We have since sailed with MSC Davina, fantastic looking boat and excellent shows but food not as good.

Azamara, give that a miss unless you are 70 and have not been on any of the other boats I mention although they have got good ports.

Holland American Nieuw Amsterdam, Caribbean great value on a great ship at Xmas where a couple of members of the waiting staff made that a great cruise (Thanks Boozie and Papito)

Anyway

The staff who all work amazingly hard to keep the place clean (was up at the Buffet at 3am but was closed and there was a team of 20 cleaning from the ceiling down), to cook the fantastic food (Lobster in Murano great) and entertain you are what makes the difference. Service second to none in all areas, if you have a problem they go out of their way to fix it.

My recommendation is to get at least the classic drinks package as this makes a huge difference, it is a must and will make a decent cruise fantastic. Celebrity will tell you you only have 60 dollars a day limit, they do not strictly enforce this. I counted my bill at the end and between the super smoothies at the health bar, coffees and hot chocolate at deck 5 (Baccios), beer and cider at the Casino, wine and coffee at Dinner or a cocktail at the pool I had 110 drinks +some more on my wife's card.

You also save on the service charge on each drink. Worth every penny.

We were in room 9103 which was 2 doors up from the front of the ship, a wee bit far from Dinner but no problem to us as we are less than 40. Cabin staff were great, room by what we have seen on previous ships is well set out for space and room in the toilet.

We set off from Scotland and tried to embark at 10.30am which was an hour and half before embarkation even opens, I was on the ship and in the jacuzzi by 12.45 with a pina colada (took swimming stuff in hand luggage). The first day at the pool was great as no one else had thought of that and we had the place mostly to ourselves and you have that buzz of first day of holiday and seeing how great the ship looks.

I went to all the shows apart from 2 and all were suitable for all age groups with varying music and acts for all. Anyone who moans about any of the shows need to realize the diversity of people that Sue and her team need to try to please for 2 weeks, good job guys.

If you can manage to stay up past the second show that stops at 11.30 there is great entertainment both on deck 4 just outside the theater, we saw Steve Womack, a good comedian/singer, went to liar liar where the staff present a comedy show, and we won Mr and Mrs competition where we were presently surprised to win a dinner in Murano where we intended to go anyway, so that was more money for the Casino to spend, ye ha.

On deck 5 there were various entertainers all were good at the bar outside Murano. Also on 5 was the famous and memorable Perry Grant. As I am 36 it did take me 15-20mins to get into his type of entertainment and singing but we enjoyed the show so much we did go back 4 times and if we had 10-20mins to spare we would pop in to see what he was up to. Although some of the act is the same each night there was a bit of variety which kept it fresh. One night he got his maracas out which was good to see and we were treated to a special treat as we had 2 dancers on a few nights ( a couple of holidaymakers), if you read this baguette and croissant you were great fun, all should have your attitude. Anyway need to move on as "the world does not revolve around Mr Grant".

Grass up the top was also great for hanging around playing bowls or when you leave port up the top having a vino.

Also around the ship West Side Strings and the band Carter Hayes are also great.

Only slight let down was the ports at the Canaries, the boat docked a wee bit away from the busy resorts but the sun was out so who cares!

The breakfast on the last day should be open a bit longer but I suppose that was the reason I was in Jacuzzi on the embarkation day so I would not swap that.

All in all and pound for pound, fantastic. Apart from Bruce and his team who robbed me in the casino.

Publication Date: 11/02/13