Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review by AcciesOk: Disappointing Ship

Disappointing Ship

Sail Date: September 2013
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Venice

This was my 9th cruise but my first with NCL and probably my last. While the ship, which is the oldest in the fleet, was well appointed and maintained to a very good standard for its age, it was however rather dull and dated which is a shame. I didnt feel its layout worked too well - the foyer/reception area is used every night to sell goods from tables and there are always two photography areas set up with backdrops and lighting etc. It resembles a busy and noisy market right next to the cafe which tends to ruin any notion of a quiet coffee.

Cabins (interior on deck 9) were of a good size and well appointed.

The all night eatery is the main through route to the casino and has passengers constantly walking between your table and the servery which is a narrow area at best.

The main dining experience was not very good either. Waiting too long to be seated. The Garden was dull as the lighting was turned down too low which accentuated the general dark decor. More Food not too good either - often barely warm and on the occasion I ordered a steak it was poorly cooked which I left. Didnt complain as I was in mixed company - waiter took away my plate and made no comment as to why the food had not been eaten. Other cruise line staff would have challenged me as to why I had not eaten my meal and would have offered an alternative. Tables not cleared quickly enough and staff rather sullen. dress code not maintained with passengers allowed in with shorts and sandals

Entertainment - main shows - lots of complaints about the poor sound quality. Background/backing music often too loud for performers which just ruined the show. Cruise director was aware of the complaints from myself and others but nothing seemed to be done about it.

overall this was a disappointing cruising experience. Probably newer NCL ships would be better - they couldnt be much worse. Less

Read more Norwegian Spirit cruise reviews >>