Caribbean Princess Cruise Review by dickinson: Great Cruise

Compare Prices on Caribbean Princess Canada & New England Cruises

Great Cruise

Sail Date: September 2013
Destination: Canada & New England
Embarkation: New York (Brooklyn, Red Hook)

This was our second sailing with Princess. Previously sailed Carnival however the last one was 9 years ago and all cruise lines have changed. We cruised last year on the Golden to Alaska and loved it so decided this would be a good cruise.

Embarkation - We drove to the terminal and parked in the lot. It is right by the ship. Easy. We arrived around 11:30 am. The terminal was busy inside but it didn't take too long and before we knew it we were on board. I love being able to go directly to our cabin.

Cabin - Just like our previous Princess cruise we booked a Window Suite. It has no balcony but is a beautiful room and great location on deck 6 near Passenger Services. I wish more ships had this cabin category as we love it.

Food - Average. We mostly ate in the MDR. We had anytime dining. Didn't have to wait long at all. Most nights they took us right away. We tended to eat around 6:30 pm and occasionally around 7 pm. Always sat with other people. One evening we More had dinner in the Horizon Court. Food looked good but by the time we sat down it was just room temperature. This was disappointing. We ate in Crown Grill one evening. Wonderful!!! Because we were in a suite we got to eat breakfast in Sabattini's. Wonderful food and service.

Crooners - This is the piano bar. Aj Clarke was wonderful. The venue was not big enough for him so loads of people had to stand up. When he took his break some people who were sitting left so we just got ourselves some seats then for his second set.

Shows - We saw some. I would say they were average. Nothing special but nice to see.

Ports - Newport, RI - because we had been there before we took public transit from the Visitor Center over to one of the mansions. We then walked a bit on Cliff Walk and then back up to the main street to catch the bus back. Boston - Went to college there so it was nice to go back. The ship offers transportation into the city for $15 but there is a public bus a block away that only cost $2.50 one way. It is the silver line of the "T". We did that instead as I had researched this in advance. We walked some of the Freedom Trail, had lunch at Quincy Market and then took the "T" out to Fenway Park. No game that night but we wanted to just be there. We then took the "T" back to the ship. Bar Harbor - We booked Olie's Trolleys in advance. We took a 2.5 hour tour into Acadia National Park. Unfortunately it was cloudy, drizzly and foggy so we didn't see the good views. I would recommend this company. We had lunch at Stewman's lobster pound. Would recommend it. St John - only port we took a ship tour. It was 6.5hours and took us all around. Not a place I would want to go back. Been there done that. Last was Halifax, NS. We rented a car from Enterprise. We drove to the cemetery where the Titanic people are buried. Got lost quite a few times but each time we stopped people were very nice to us and gave us directions. We then went on to Peggys Cove. Very pretty. Went to Ryer's lobster for lunch as every other review raves about it. Unfortunately my lobster was well done. Possibly because the people at Peggy's Cove called over and ordered it for me. We may have taken a little too long to get there and the lobster just sat steaming. We took the scenic route back to Halifax. Never had a chance to go to the museum. Another cruise.

All in all I would recommend this ship and also the itinerary. In a few years I would like to do it again. Less

Read more Caribbean Princess cruise reviews >>