Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by Hatshep

Embarkation Not Rated
Service Not Rated
Value-for-Money Not Rated

MY OPINION AND EXPERIENCE

Hello. I was in EPIC last september and I've written a review in a spanish forum (i'm spanish). It's very long and i have no time to translate to english. I've make the translation with an online software ( i know it's a very bad english, so i'm Sorry) :(

Before my cruise, i found this fantástico forum and i learned a lot of things about "cruises world". So, i wanted to share my experience and point of view.

I hope you like it.

Hi everybody!! Already 2 weeks ago we returned from our cruise on the EPIC and have encouraged me to share our experience in this "ugly duck" which is plying the Mediterranean for already several years.This year, due to various circumstances, we have had our vacation in September-October. So... By not go cruising? Get to work! I looked for which European internet on several websites (national and foreign) to go see prices. I found a very good deal on a coast but... If we went with ncl already serious my 4 cruise with them and the second from Juan Carlos. At the end we decided on the EPIC, I already you had earn the truth ;-) stateroom with balcony guaranteed (as always, the more cheap) 10 days prior to departure without assigned cabin I started to get nervous... Bufffff... We will have a problem? Sure, we get into a hull balcony. When missing 5 days to exit, enter myncl to print the edocs  and SURPRISSSEEEEE. We had been assigned a mini Spa suite on deck 14.  In particular the 14167... As I saw in terms of cover, was towards the stern and literally holding Spa (that want to get) September 29 went off at about 7:00 Zaragoza to Barcelona to embark. This starts well! The bus driver tells us that we are going to stop in the port, next to the epic.

FIRST impressions arriving at the dock be seen... A giant floating! Externally gave me the feeling of hive. All rooms with balconies and didn't cover ride, only lifeboat covering cover 7. That strange... You have truly earned the nickname of "ugly duck", the poor has an external appearance of ugly duckling. We'll see what awaits us in...

BOARDING  There is little to say that she has not already been commented in this fantastic Forum. Tidy and pretty fast. As soon as you arrive, you put the tag in suitcases with the cabin number and you forget about it until a few hours later. As we always do in NCL, take back our wine and pay the corkage. This time they were 4 bottles in a suitcase in hand that we carry with us to the ship. No problems at the counters of invoicing, speed and efficiency to stop. We found a very nice girl who made us the quick checking. Photo for keys and... For inside! Before boarding, photo with  the boat in the background (typical on all cruise ships)

BOARDING THE EPIC

to pay the corckage  of bottles, stickers to the edge and we're going to investigate. The first thing that we are is the entrance of theatre and circus. I thought it was funny to not directly reach the Atrium :-/ There are no staff who tell you nothing so we go directly to the swimming pool area.

Swimming pool, GREAT OUTDOORS, GARDEN Café and SPICE H2O

Zone outside the boat. The Great Outdoors that another NCL ship occupies the aft, in this this poolside, more toward the Center. Snacks, water and Nestle fruit juices (Orange single was for breakfast, then removed it. It was the best for me ).

Garden Café, as in all NCL, is the buffet. Varied, clean... More extensive than in other boats but even so, at peak times was rather complicated to find table.The Spice H2O, per day is a bar where there are swimming pool and hammocks. It is an area for adults, only if there are many children in the boat I imagine that he is appreciated. It is more peaceful. At night it's a pub with performances live. There are outdoor parties.The pool area includes slides and climbing wall as well as a small playground. Like me, and in no time I had problem to find free hammock. Another issue is the size... As ponds for frogs, but to give you one sufficient to a little bath. This seems fairly widespread in all boats...

CORRIDORS, ELEVATORS, location inside of the SHIP.

Corridors not seemed as laberinthyc as I have read in any review. They are normal, as in any other ship corridors. That Yes, very very very long, like everything in the epic. We never had problem to catch any lift. I had also read about that there were very few lifts... Not told them, but as said, no problem. Solve the issue of the location on the ship in a phenomenal way. Touch screens in different languages beside the elevators. In them you can locate and see where you need to go, very practical.

CABIN 14167 SPA MINI SUITE

Like  I said at the beginning, we pay a guaranteed balcony and assigned us the mini suite. Some 23-24 m2 and Belice SPA (best impossible situation). As extras, put us the Elemis (very very good) signature Spa amenities: gel, shampoo, conditioner and body milk in addition to typical normal wall of gel and shampoo dispensers. In addition also had access to the Spa included during all the cruise (a real luxury, I assure  you) the cabin very well, without problems to move there. The toilet on one hand, and the tub on the other, with two screens of course. Toddler sink, but you manage. A lot of holes to put things. The bed... very confortable, slightly rounded. We who are not very tall, without any problems. For very tall people, same toes out slightly ;-)) professional type dryer (women appreciate those little things). Fantastic interactive TV. In it you can go see your onboard account as well as make reservations for shows and restaurants. By the way, when you turn on the TV waiting for us another surprise: had included US $ 150 onboard credit. This year NCL have overcome! There are also (very good) minibar and safety deposit box. Ahhhhh and I could not stop my touchscreen phone, use you every day to the wake-up service (the speech was only in English)

SPA

I have already commented, we had free access to the spa area (say, the Spa more in a boat). The truth, a big luxury. Sauna, Turkish bath, swimming pool, jacuzzi, lounge chairs, normal and hot stones, outdoor area, showers... Finally, I would have stuck me hours there inside. I was 4 days and never found agglomeration of people.  Treatments, massages... not tried them, but come on, a 30-40 minute massage, approximately were $75 tax tip... Bufffff, for the following.

BARS and shows

- Headliners.  often make normally comic shows. We saw Maestranza (do a ballet ""? Spanish). Well,... Let's just say that it was something passable. If you have not seen much,  you can see it  We also saw the crazy Ole lost... Bufff, expected me something else. 3 guys there wanting to do Spanish cliches "comedy"... Little music and quite crying. I didn't like or the type of humor or the show in general. They  are  very hystrionic. Also were a little time seeing a piano duel. This show is in English and, taking into account that we caught it already started, we went a while to-Fat CatsSe supposed to be a jazz club. We went 3 times and we listen to music, but it was not jazz. Live music is appreciated and We like it a lot. There they made reception of NCL latitudes from the silver level members. It was pretty well: wine, beer, soft drinks, cheese and official presentation of the captain and crew members-

Spice H2O  like I said, there were parties outdoors at night (usually after dinner) I was in a couple (ABBA and latin party). Okay, no site problem, it is very large. I imagine that in pure summer it will be crowded. In September-October the weather at night is something colder and often want to be in a bar inside-

Atrio Some times were encouraged with live music. We saw a group tribute to the Beatles. We liked very much.-

THEATRE blue man group. Show original and different from what he had seen. (do not tell more to not spoil the surprise to those who go to see it) highly recommended. Thanks you for this type of actions on a cruise ship.Legends in concert. Well, leave 3 imitators of singers and go from worst to best. Be seen.These venues are the ones we visited, although there are always some place in the ship with live music.

SPA http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1muefhI2ipo

SPA MINI SUITE 14167 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-r6gSMEjaA

RESTAURANTS

- Manhattan Room It was our restaurant's header. We were every night less one we visited the Taste. Is included in the price of the cruise. Very large and live music always. The sober and elegant decoration we really liked. We walked down to dinner about 9 and a half and we always had to wait for our table (not much, about 10 minutes). To hang out give us always a ticket to go to the bar of next to drink a glass of champagne, so the wait is shorter (positive point for NCL) very rich dishes with impeccable presentation.

-Taste another complementary   restaurant to dinner. Decor a little more modern than the Manhattan. The letter of the two is the same, and waiting for table also. In the Center is the epic super lamp. It also has a piano and sometimes matches a musician playing while dinner (we do not saw him) -

Garden Cafe  the Epic buffet. Varied, clean and large. Starters, salads, desserts, seconds... In short, everything. Take less something more fish, there was much. This year they have included an India food station. Very good.  Also very good pizzas and burgers-

Great Outdoors  for breakfast every day.  As I have said is not in the stern as in other NCL. It is in the pool. I liked a lot more at the stern of the boat but... For breakfast outdoors right.Ahhhhh, I almost forgot, the last day breakfast a la carte in the Taste. There are a lot of things, and they serve you so that... highly recommended for days that the weather not permitting.

swimming pool, GREAT OUTDOORS and GARDEN Café: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI0tOd_NbrA

STAFF

... Us delighted, no problem. As everywhere, people more friendly and less people. But in general very well. We had more than treatment with Jill, the Director of animation. Help you in what you can and strive to understand you if you do not know English.Our waiter, Michael, a filipino enough simpathic  He brought you everything that you needed when you asked it. That if, Spanish null total. But as we we defend with English, then without problems

SERVICE  almost a 10. Super attentive and friendly staff. In the restaurants there are that say I took a little time.... is the only but you can put them. But then you need very clean water or anything. In the bars without problems, a lot of waiters and very correct service.

CLEANING  20 out of 10. It was always pristine. Our room is super clean, michael entered twice: in the morning to do it and in the evening to fix it, let ice and log... table linen, cutlery, glassware... Everything perfect. The buffet which was always to stop, nor a table without being picked up, if you were her empty was clean. Perfect. Here is where the question me: as they will so boats of ketchup and mustard from the buffet tables are always so clean?

PRICES  quite acceptable. Taking into account the site where these do not seem inadequate. This year they have been included in addition to gratuities European VAT of 10%.  Ej: 15$ 10% VAT corckage, bucket of 6 beers in 1/3  $ 32 in total, soft drink or similar total$ 2.70...  I think that novelty like the package option of drinks for the "reasonable" cost of $ 46 a person and day... Bufff have much to drink to amortize it but it's personal decisión.

SERVICE CHARGE they  let adjust them, i.e. If you believe that you have received poor service, any problems or some other reason. Us what we do is give the half cash room waiter and the other half left it for the boat. They are $ 12 per person per day.

CRUISE LINE what I can say... For us great. I have always received privileges, but i don't know why. In all my cruises I have booked a guaranteed balcony and have always assigned me the balcony more expensive (and in this a mini suite) as I have already said, prepared us a small reception for members of club latitudes from silver level. She is the captain and other crew members. It is a little thing , but is appreciated. Make you feel special.

LATITUDES reception: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLuDmWFD6Io

CONCLUSIONS

For  us a fantastic boat of a super cruise line. The boat a little different than the rest of the fleet (at least that I know: jewel, gem and sun). It has good and not so good-things

Positive things

A lot of  of public spaces, which makes you never to see crowds in bars.

A lot  of restaurants to choose. You haven't enough Time to visit everything.

The Spa (biggest in a ship) . This is a +11100000000 for NCL.

Decoration, much more sober and relaxing. Without stridency of colors.

The gym, that although I have not referred to is great.

The staff as I have already said, phenomenal.

A lot of of activities for all ages.

Renovating. I am referring to the implementation of facial recognition system to find your photos, screens and TV interactive...-

No so positive :-(

I missed the promenade deck, covered by the tenders.

I didn't like me the theme of the casino along the deck 6 a lot. Pretty ugly there as all full of machines and tables game...

It would have seemed more appropriate the GREAT Outdoors in aft  to have those fantastic breakfast watching the wake from the boat.

Missing, in my point of view, a bar in bow. While the boat is sailing, your cervecica... Buffff the best.

FINAL RECOMENDATIONS

For  us (marriage of 40 years) seems to us a great holiday option. We don't have over problems in the subject of English, if some goods that you can always find someone who speaks Spanish and if not strive to understand you. I would not recommend it for seniors without any idea of English. Fantastic freestyle. Your tags in your times. But if you want to make friends, complicated. Although the shipping company offers meet and greet,. .For the others, a highly recommended, a super boat trip one (under my point of view) very good shipping company who takes care of the client. and something that we should not forget: great value quality/precio. Like negativa point: travel should be longer! A week is not enough to enjoy this kind of boat. I would be delighted travels 10 days

.MY SCORE: 9/10

I hope  you  liked it, and any questions you know. I'll be here

Publication Date: 10/28/13