Celebrity Millennium Cruise Review by panoramaofthepast: A great cruise on Millennium

panoramaofthepast
Member Since 2009
1,372 Posts

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Celebrity Millennium Panama Canal & Central America Cruises

A great cruise on Millennium

Sail Date: October 2013
Destination: Panama Canal & Central America

We just returned from the 15 day Millennium cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to San Diego. For us, it was a great success. We thoroughly enjoyed the cruise and had few negative comments. Here's a brief review.

Because we were leaving from one city and returning to another, we used Choice Air. I did a price check; Choice Air offered the best price and a good variety of flights. No problems at all.

Embarkation - smooth! We were informed of potential delays due to immigration checks on the previous cruise, but we arrived at the port around 11am and were walking on board by 11:30! Champagne in hand, we proceeded to explore. Our room was ready by 1:30; our bags delivered by 2pm.

Food venues - overkill on Purel!

Oceanview Cafe- I am not a fan of buffets, but this one was Ok. Best offerings for me were the waffles and made to order eggs for breakfast, yummy raisen bread and sticky buns in the morning, and the made to order sandwiches for lunch. The service was More excellent, with dirty dishes whisked away almost before you finished.

Metropolitan Dining Room - early seating - we had a table for eight, with Francisco and Julian taking care of things. By and large the food was excellent, although for someone with a seafood allergy (me!) the selections became more limited. One tip - for meat selections, order at least one degree less than you want (medium rare for medium, for instance) for a better chance of getting it right! It does take time to get it up to the table. I thought the food was far better than Carnival, RCI, or Princess - and no singing/dancing waiters!

Specialty Restaurants-Qzine and Olympic - We bought the package of 3 dinners, so we had 2 dinners in Olympic and one in Qzine. Both were excellent, but very different. We enjoyed Qzine - upbeat and trendy, but you really need to go with a group to really enjoy it. The food comes fast and furiously and in great quantity. It is a little overwhelming. Ordering dessert with a Rubix cube us a hoot! Olympic is elegant, traditional dining with style and grace. The chateaubriand was so tender you didn't need a knife. Don't miss the dessert soufflés.

Public areas - polished to a high shine! Previous reviews had commented that the ship was showing its age, but it appeared that the crew used the repair time to fix problems and shine things up. There did seem to be recurring problems with elevators, one would get fixed and another acted up.

Excursions -we used mostly private excursions, so I will leave that to others for comment.

Entertainment - such a personal choice here, so I am reluctant to comment. We enjoyed the comedians, but not the female singer (Michelle Murin); the dancers performed well, but we didn't care for the show that much. The dance music was good - we made a point of going down to dinner early most nights just to listen. I didn't attend the lectures, but others said they were interesting. I enjoyed trivia; Michael kept a nice balance between fun and competition!

Debarcation - all went well on the ship, although it was running a bit late. Once off the ship, baggage collection was unorganized and getting to the transfer buses a mess. There needs to be more Celebrity personnel there.

All in all, an excellent cruise. Less

Read more Celebrity Millennium cruise reviews >>