Riviera Cruise Review by ljcruz41

Member Name: ljcruz41
Cruise Date: September 2013
Embarkation: Venice
Destination: Mediterranean
See More About: Riviera Cruise Reviews | Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Oceania Cruise Deals

LuxuryOnly.com

Ship Facts: Riviera Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Riviera Deck Plans
Bandits of the seas...!

Thanks for the opportunity of telling others what Oceania's Riviera is all about: MONEY.

I am a 72 year convinced capitalist but there are limits.

My wife and I were sold this cruise by our travel agent. She warned us about the shore excursions, buy her warnings felt short of the reality.

Let me give you an example:

Their least expensive excursion in Florence was $175.00 per person. This consist of taking you from the port to the center of the city. We did it on our own for $21.00 each (we got tickets to the Uffizi for about $10.00 more (they don't include this).

Same happens in Rome. Fortunately we had been before to these cities and also to Venice and Capri, so we were only abused in Corfu and Taormina (Dubrovnik we also did on our own).

What it is more ethically questionable is that they wont tell you about these options, not even of the free buses that will take you from the port to the center of the city. In some ports they are even in open collaboration with thieves impersonating as taxi drivers.

Best memories: two of the restaurants included in our package: Red Ginger and Jacques...But let me tell you I have similar at home for a fraction of the cost (maybe not like Red Ginger which is an spectacular experience).

Shows were amateurish as well as service at the Grand dinning room and chaotic at the Waves Grill.

My wife at 61 and me (72) were the kids on the ship.

Now I am bombarded with mail from Oceania inviting me for another trip: never again!

Publication Date: 10/28/13