Nieuw Amsterdam Cruise Review by Sue555: Fantastic!!!!

Sue555
Member Since 2013

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Nieuw Amsterdam Mediterranean Cruises

Fantastic!!!!

Sail Date: October 2013
Destination: Mediterranean
Embarkation: Barcelona

I have sailed before but many years ago. This ship was wonderful. The food was great. The room (5073) with balcony was awesome. No more or less than you need with lots of storage for clothing even if you are on a 21 day , you would have enough room for clothing. The best part of the ship and its offerings is the staff!!! The 2 boys in charge of cleaning our room work tirelessly from early in the morning until often 10 pm or later they are still in the hall doing whatever is necessary in various rooms. Our room was often cleaned 2x in a day which I did not expect. Note to casino players, the texas hold em table is electronic, and the house takes 10%. Seeing that we were huge players of this game, we expected a person and chips, it takes awhile to get use to this and also use to having no employee in front of you. We also would recommend a full beverage card for those of you that like to drink.

We went on 3 excursions only, 2 half days and 1 full day, and still used up our More amount on our card. Wine, beer, pop etc is covered, but not delivery to your room. You must get your drinks at the bar and bring to your room yourself. Also, both people in your room must purchase it, not just one person. It was worthwhile for us so we would know exactly what we were spending since we had an overall budget.

This ship is mainly people over 65 years old. My husband and I are in our forties and love to have a good party and we did. The age difference was fine and we met wonderful people! You can bring on 1 bottle of wine per person which is also wonderful! This trip was outstanding in every way. Kudos to the patient employees which have to deal with the odd miserable traveller. The front desk employees are amazingly patient also! Less

Read more Nieuw Amsterdam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Nieuw Amsterdam Review >>

Mt. Vesuvius

This excursion was wonderful but I have to say.....what the hell happened to Naples. I was there a couple of decades ago and it was nice but now is full of garbage on many streets! Lots of plastic water bottles and garbage strewn on the side of the streets going up the mountain and throughout the bush. Then we went downtown after to Brandy's Pizza and some sidestreets were littered with garbage also and I don't know why!! The city needs to get volunteers to clean up if it is not in the budget for them to have city workers do it.