Disney Fantasy Cruise Review by rose94

Disney Fantasy
Member Name: rose94
Cruise Date: August 2013
Embarkation: Port Canaveral
See More About: Disney Fantasy Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Disney Cruise Deals
Dining Not Rated
Public Rooms Not Rated
Cabins Not Rated
Entertainment Not Rated
Embarkation Not Rated
Service Not Rated
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Jewelry Theft on the Disney Fantasy – Total disappointment at Disney

I have gone on five cruises, two with the Disney Cruise Line. I have never written a negative cruise review but I feel the need to share my experience so that others can be aware of theft problem.

I recently went on the 08/31/13 cruise with my family. Although the cruise was good, unfortunately, I lost a heart diamond pendant in the room. The pendant was part of a necklace that was an anniversary gift I got from my husband. It had sentimental value, something I wore almost every day. I used to think highly of the Disney Company until now, my experience in dealing with the Cruise Line regarding the theft incident left me with frustrations and disappointment

It happened on the first formal night. I left my necklace in the room in a clear plastic bag, not in the safe. When I came back from dinner, I discovered that the necklace was opened up and the pendant was gone. My entire family looked everywhere in the room, especially in the desk area where I took off the necklace but we could not find the pendant.

After I reported the problem, I had a chance to talk to the deck manager. He told me that Security will come and talk to me the next day, search the room and do an investigation. I asked the manager who else has access to the room besides the room steward and I was told that Maintenance Group also has access. When I told my family what the deck manager has said, my son remembered that a Disney Crew had come by our room on the night I lost the jewelry. A crew knocked on the door. When my son opened the door, the guy just said "sorry” and walked away.

The entire time I was on the seven days cruise, Security never came by and talk to me at all and there was no room search that was performed. Security claimed that no one came into our room while we were out to dinner.

I find it hard to believe that the jewelry disappeared by itself. I never suspect the room steward to be involved but I had a feeling that someone else had access to our room and stole my jewelry. I am certain that the jewelry was stolen. Either Security did not do a thorough check to track down who went into our room or someone was able to enter the room without being tracked down.

I did not feel safe after this incident; I came back to the room and checked on our kids in the middle of watching a movie one night.

When I came back home, I have requested through Risk Management for the Disney Cruise Line to review my case again. I asked for a review of the log/report that Security has used to check for my room access. I also asked for a verification of the time frame that was used to track my room access to make sure that the tracking of my room access was done at the right time. The responses I got back was no one can look at the log except for Security and that Security could not provide the time frame that was used to track my room access.

WOW? So Security can say whatever they want to say so they don’t have to deal with the problem? There is no accountability or proofs that the investigation was done correctly because no one else can verify the investigation. This is absolutely poor customer service. I expect more from the Disney Cruise Line.

I questioned how the investigation was done and how can Security do a thorough investigation without talking to the person who was affected?

The lack of support I received from Security made me think that this was a cover up. I did not feel that Security follow the correct procedure in performing the investigation. All of the researches that I’ve done with other cruise theft cases, security always talks to the person who has filed a loss and/or search the room.

I have taken the following actions already and I have gotten either no response or no progress on any resolution. I wrote a complaint letter to Guest Communications. I also called the Disney Cruise Line "Guest Communications” to make sure my letter was received. I have communicated with Corporate through several emails.

What happened to us was a serious matter yet I feel that the Disney Cruise Line did not handle my case properly, that I was not taken care of as a customer. This is not what a Disney Vacation is supposed to be, loosing something special in my own locked cabin.

Someone else also wrote a negative review regarding "Money stolen” on the Disney Dream through Cruise Critics. From my perspective, Disney Cruise Line needs to provide better customer service in handling theft reports and protecting the passengers. They really need to connect with the customers, take care of the customers and build a relationship where customers can trust the work ethics and would want to come back on future cruises.

Below is the full ship review:

ACTIVITIES: Characters Greeting was good. We took pictures but ended up not buying any pictures due to the bad experience with the jewelry loss. My youngest son went to the Oceaneer Club, this area is really nice, lots of things for kids to do.

SERVICE and DINING: Our dining experience was always excellent. Our favorite was Animator's Palate. Our dinning servers and our room steward were very nice.

ENTERTAINMENT: Disney has the best entertainment out of all of the cruises that I've been on. Pirate night was fun!

CABIN: We had the Deluxe Family Cabin (Ocean View). Our first assigned Cabin was 7674. This cabin had a lot of vibration and there was a loud noise at night (seemed to be coming from the bottom of the ship). We got switched to 8172 the next day (same type of room except it's on the other side of the ship). We didn't encounter the same problems as the previous one. The room was a good size. I like the separate bathrooms, one for the shower and sink, the other one has a toilet and a sink.

PORT: We like Grand Cayman and Castaway Cay. We didn't care too much for Costa Maya and Cozumel.

In summary, the Disney Fantasy is a beautiful ship with great entertainment but you do have to be extra careful with your valuables. I made a mistake in trusting the Disney Employees and lost something very special.

Publication Date: 10/28/13