Carnival Sensation Cruise Review by schnauzerific

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Sensation Cruise Review by schnauzerific
Carnival Sensation
Dining 5+
Entertainment 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

Sensational Time On The Sensation

Our cruise started on a Sunday. It consisted of my husband (43), my daughter (17), my mother in law (73) and myself (42). We arrived at Port Canaveral about 11:00am, dropped off our luggage and parked in the lot. The cost to park was $75 for the 4 days. After we parked we went in, got through security, then went upstairs to receive our sail and sign cards, then right on to the ship. All in all it took 30 minutes at the most. We went straight to the Lido deck for some lunch. After we had our lunch we headed to our rooms where we meet our wonderful Steward Orlando. We had our luggage by 3pm. Our Steward kept our room clean and neat. I loved coming in every night to have my bed turned down and a cute towel friend with a chocolate.

This was our second time on the ship and we had a blast. I love that it is smaller and easy to get around. We ate our breakfast and lunch on the lido deck. We never had to wait very long in lines. The food was good for mass produced food. My husband and I both purchased a soda card and were always able to get to a bartender to get a drink quickly. We did eat our supper in the dining room. We always do anytime dining. That is the only way to go. Our waitstaff Roseanna and Danny were wonderful. We enjoyed talking with them every night and after our first night they knew our preferences. During the cruise we went to both of the main shows in the lounge. We had seen them both before but went anyway. The first one was Curves it is a more Las Vegas type show. To me it was just ok. The second one was Far From Over, it was a show with some great 80s tunes. I loved it simply because I still love and miss the 80s. There was also a great magician that would come around to our table every night in the dining room. He also did a show in the evenings in the Oak Room. It is worth checking out. The newlywed game was funny. The older couples are always a blast to watch. The comedians were also very funny. I also went to a towel folding class to learn how to make the towel animals it was awesome except I think they gave me defective towels. They never turned out quite right. We did not use the spa or children's service.

As far as excursions go the first morning we had slacked and not booked anything. I went down to the desk and Kelvin went about and beyond helping me by crossing out everything that was booked. Our first stop was Freeport. We just got off the boat here and did a taxi tour. This was what my MIL wanted to do. It was $30 a person. We went through the different sections of town. The poor section, middle class, and the upper class. I thought it was boring but my MIL loved it. In Nassau we went to Balamari Island and swam with the stingrays. Balamari Island is an island that Carnival and Sandals Resorts owns. It has only been open about 13 weeks I think is what they said. To get there you take a 30 minute boat ride during which a guide gives you a tour of things on the shore. We also went by Eddie Murphy's private island. When we got to the island there was a long wooden pier on one side they had 3 pens set up with dolphins, and a pen with stingrays. On the other side was the regular beach. On the beach there were plenty of chairs and umbrellas. You could rent snorkel equipment or use your own and snorkel. There was also a pool and a dance area with music. We did the stingray excursion and was able to feed the stingrays. If you have never had any interaction with stingrays this would be a good excursion. Unfortunately we have been to Stingray Bay in the Caymans and have been spoiled. At Balamari they line you up in two lines facing each other and give you chunks of fish to feed the stingrays as they swim down the line. Remember earlier I said Carnival owned this island? Well they have a photographer there that would take pictures that you could buy on the ship. They wouldn't let you bring your camera in the water. Although my husband and daughter stayed over there after most everyone left and got a few pics. While we were there I ordered a salad wrap (10) and a water (4). They charge everything to your sail and sign account. They said they were gonna be adding more things like a water slide and maybe some banana boats and stuff as time goes on.

For debarkation we always do self assist. The only thing with this was everyone must have picked this and the line was way back down two hallways, then people decided they didn't want to go to the back of the line and started cutting. That wasn't Carnivals fault though. All in all it was a great trip. It always amazes me how hard everyone on Carnival's ships works. Every person I have ever encountered on any of their ships are always so pleasant and helpful. I can't wait to go on my next cruise.

Publication Date: 10/28/13