Wind Surf Cruise Review by Xoe: London/Portsmouth to Lisbon on Wind Surf

London/Portsmouth to Lisbon on Wind Surf

Sail Date: September 2013
Destination: Europe - British Isles & Western
Embarkation: London (Tilbury)

This was a wonderful itinerary and a memorable voyage for many reasons.

After 2 days at a well-located hotel in London, we were transferred by motorcoach to Wind Surf at her dock at Portsmouth. Our ports in France were Cherbourg, St. Malo, and Brest. Cherbourg was the departure point for seeing the D-Day beaches and Sainte Mere Eglise, a very moving day. St. Malo is a great place to explore, and then explore more. Brest was my least favorite port on this itinerary; I enjoyed the castle, now open as a museum.

Our ports in Spain, La Coruna and Vigo, were both interesting with lovely walking and/or excursion opportunities. Walking La Coruna's 14 km. waterfront promenade is a great way to enjoy that lovely city.

Our half-day in Porto, Portugal, allowed time to walk in the central city and along the Douro River. From Porto, we sailed onward to Lisbon. I was met at the dock by Pedro of Sintra Private Tours to start our excellent tour which ended with my being More taken to my hotel. The next day I used a hop-on-hop-off bus for an overview of Lisbon that included an afternoon at the excellent Lisbon Oceanarium.

Wind Surf and her crew are exceptional in every way. The food was the best ever on any of my cruises. I love the size of the ship, and, as in the past (this was my 5th Windstar cruise), watching the sails unfurl as we continue on towards a new port is an exhilarating experience.

The best way I can share this fine travel experience is to direct you to my just-finished on-line photo album, which I am about to post in top position on my Shutterfly travel photo site: https://fredasphotos1.shutterfly.com. After you've opened the site, click on the top album, "Wind Surf London to Lisbon". Next click on SLIDESHOW, then at upper right click on FULL SCREEN. I think it works best then to click the button at the top center to disable auto-forward of photos, after which you can click on the right-arrow when you want to go to the next photo. There are captions and text so you can view and read it as a travelogue.

It was a memorable journey. I hope you'll enjoy it vicariously! Less

Read more Wind Surf cruise reviews >>