Carnival Dream Cruise Review by deebpickus

Carnival Dream
Carnival Dream
Member Name: deebpickus
Cruise Date: October 2013
Embarkation: Orlando (Port Canaveral)
Entertainment 5+

A fantastic getaway, great entertainment

My husband and I booked this cruise because we wanted to get away somewhere warm. We really did not care about where it was going, except we wanted to see Belize.

Pros:

The ship is beautiful. It is a classically styled cruise ship. I liked the pool areas, the Blue Iguana and Red Frog bars, the bar in the back of the ship and the serenity decks. Our balcony room was quite spacious for a cruise ship. The service was very good. The steak restaurant, although costs more, was way worth it. The steak was fantastic; I highly recommend spending the extra money if you like good steak. I don't know if it was the Caribbean Sea in October or the ship or both, but it was EXTERMELY smooth. I sometimes forgot that I was actually on a cruise ship -- until I looked out the balcony and saw the beautiful blue Caribbean sea. The entertainment was the best I have seen compared to other cruise lines. The comedians were particular good.

I had the best massage I have ever had. We came back from Belize and I was aching from the trek to the water tube caves. They had a great spa special so I jumped on it. I loved the full-body, foot, ankle and mini-facial (although I did break out from the oil).

We were having some difficulty with our shower, it kept flooding the entire bathroom floor. I put this on the pro side because after I mentioned this to the cabin steward, it was fixed and everything worked fine.

Cons:

They look our packed liquor. I know that they say not to bring any on board, but we have always packed some and never before had it confiscated (6 previous Carnival cruises and 5 other line cruises and never had anyone ever taken the liquor). We decided not to get wine with dinner any of the nights ($30 x 6 nights = $180), then decided not to do any excursions through the ship ($69.99 x 4 = 279.96). We also curbed our daily drinking ($7.95 x 6/day x 5 days = $238.50). I realize that they think that they will lose money if we make our own drinks, but in actuality, they lost money ($698.46) -- big time as a result of following this rule.

The beds and pillows were not comfortable. I had back issues and recently purchased a new mattress and discovered that it was the mattress that was causing the back problems. Well, the mattress in our room caused the back problems all over again. Also the pillows were rock hard and when I asked for a softer pillow I was told there was no such thing.

Overall:

I would totally recommend this cruise. The food, entertainment and customer service was very good. I was sad to hear they were sun-setting the ship in the near future as I thought it rode very well.

Publication Date: 10/27/13