Disney Dream Cruise Review by skittles4s: Good fun with just a few hiccups

skittles4s
Member Since 2013

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Disney Dream Bahamas Cruises

Good fun with just a few hiccups

Sail Date: October 2013
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

My husband and I just returned from a three night cruise on the Disney Dream. We had a ton of fun and enjoyed this cruise much more than a cruise we previously had on Royal Caribbean.

Embarking seemed pretty simple and easy. We were able to go straight to our cabin. Our cabin was HUGE and we spent a lot of time in it during those three days. I'll never cruise again without a balcony!

We loved the adult sections on the ship. We rarely had to venture in to the busy sections filled with families and children. The adult pool was lovely, the hot tub divine (specially after riding aquaduck), and I loved The District. All the different bars had such unique character. We did a tequila tasting ($15pp) and we definitely got more than our moneys worth. The bartender doing the tasting was humorous and became one of my favorite people on the ship. The adult section was definitely different than some of the sections on other ships. I appreciated that it was quieter, a little more More subdued. We enjoyed listening to live music every night, and on halloween night we participated in their adults halloween costume contest. It was a ton of fun and there were a lot of people participating.

The DREAM Good:

Adult sections - quiet, plentiful, fun, but not total binge-drinking shenanigans

Cabin Space - loved having a balcony, loved the disney on demand movies

Customer Service - Our room attendant Goodluck was great, but the service desk was also always great. We had some slight motion sickness the first night and they gave us some motion sickness medicine. Also, the husband got stung by something at Castaway Key and he was able to get some bandages from them. They were just always helpful and smiling. It felt like the type of customer service you come to appreciate from Disney.

The shows - I loved the Golden Mickey's, Villians, and Believe. I thought all three of them were fantastic!

Alcohol tastings - Totally worth the $15 surcharge!

Live music - They had great live music on board and they were fun and did song requests.

Halloween night!

The DREAM mediocre:

Food - food was ok the ship. I loved Cabanas for breakfast in the morning and lunch. The rotating dining room idea was interesting, but I tired of the set dining times.

Assigned Seating - it was really awkward being at a table with three other couples and every couple at the table spoke a different main language. We had Spanish, English, Chinese, and Japanese speaking individuals at our table. We may have all been around the same ages but I think that is the only thing we really had in common. On our last cruise with Royal Caribbean they had two person tables, so I may have just been suprised with the shared table arrangements.

Our waitstaff - they bordered on ok/bad. The first night ourselves and another couple were sitting down and we had grabbed some of the dinner rolls and we apparently were using the wrong bread plates because they were swooped up from our table in no time at all from our assistant server who never bothered to greet us or introduce himself. He just grabbed our plates and gave us very disapproving looks. I felt like throughout most of the cruise I received disapproving looks from him for using the wrong plate or silverware. It was strange for me sitting at a table with six other strangers trying to make sure I'm using the right silverware at the right time so I'm not making our assistant server irritated. So overall dinner was not an enjoyable time for me at all. Maybe I'll have to buy that wine package next time so I can drink more during dinner and just not care. Honestly though compared to some of the waitstaff we had at a la carte breakfast or waitstaff we observed at other tables, I just really felt ours missed the mark.

Cabin Maintenance - The only issue we had with our cabin was that it was arctic freezing. I had turned off the air conditioning and set our cabin temperature as hot as it would go, but it didn't seem to be making any difference. We told our room attendant and he mentioned it could take some time for the room to warm up. The next day it still wasn't any different at all so he sent maintenance to our room. Maintenance said the temperature sensor was malfunctioning and recommended we put a bucket of ice in front of the sensor. It was extremely random. Then we got a call at 1130 on the last night of our cruise to be told that they were going to fix the sensor for the next guests (well isn't that nice for them).

CROWDING - Most of the time on the ship we were in areas where we could avoid the huge throngs of people, but occasionally we got caught in the floods. You could get trapped in some of the shops and not be able to move there would be so many people in them. Most of the time you could avoid the crowds though with some pre-planning.

Honestly we loved the cruise and would probably go on another Disney Cruise in the future, but I doubt we would ever pay full price for one. We had them do the pricing for us on board for future Disney Cruises, and if we do go on another Disney Cruise in the future it will be booked last minute like this one and "affordable". Less

Read more Disney Dream cruise reviews >>