Bahamas Celebration Cruise Review by jaxjww: A surprisingly pleasant cruise for experienced cruisers

jaxjww
Member Since 2011

Cabin Not Rated

A surprisingly pleasant cruise for experienced cruisers

Sail Date: October 2013
Destination: Bahamas

We've just returned from the 2-night cruise from Palm Beach, FL, to Freeport in The Bahamas on the Bahamas Celebration and we had a GREAT time! I've read reviews of this ship on CC, and I find that many are way off base compared to our experience. First, this was our 25th cruise so I'm not writing this having had no experience on "real" cruise lines. We did our homework prior to embarkation. We only did the cruise, not a timeshare pitch or any shore excursions, so this is a review only of the cruise. We're Florida residents who've been to Freeport before and to Nassau many times, and didn't want to add anything to the actual cruise. Here are the highlights of our experience with responses especially aimed at the negative review by Sheepdog7561:

Cabin - we also had an inside cabin on the same deck as Sheepdog and only a few doors away, and yes it's quite small with a small bathroom. We didn't expect anything different because we knew how big it was when we booked. Our bathroom More was clean and the shower was good, although getting a comfortable water temperature was a little challenging but not impossible. His bear did not chew on our toilet. The bed was not exactly comfortable, but I couldn't compare it to prison mattresses like Sheepdog did because I've never been in prison. As for the cabin TV, it wasn't as small as Sheepdog's, it worked, and we did not watch anything on it. We don't cruise to watch TV!

Electrical outlet - there's one outlet in the cabin and indeed it's a 220V outlet with a northern Europe receptacle. Anyone researching this cruise line would know that. I have two different adapters that would work, and I had no problem keeping my electronics charged. Note that the "northern Europe" adapter has the fatter two prongs and the "southern Europe" version has the thinner two, but both worked.

Dining - There are only two dinners and we ate both in the Crystal Dining Room, the one with no up charge. We had Prime Rib the first night and Beef Wellington the second, and both were as good or better than any we've ever had on a cruise. The side dishes were also excellent. They have a great chef! The buffet line for breakfast and lunch was cruise line typical, but everything we had was certainly tasty. They did not have the huge dessert bar setup that we've seen elsewhere, but we didn't expect one.

Drinks - We bought the 10 drinks for $60 package and split them between us. Some umbrella type drinks were good and some were average, but the Bombay Sapphire and Tanqueray Martinis were EXCELLENT!

Entertainment - We've seen entertainment on 6 other cruise lines, and this little cruise ship keeps up with the best of them. There are no large music shows with casts of singers and dancers like on the "big" cruise lines, but the individual comedians, singer, juggler, and acrobat were as good as any we've ever seen, including some Las Vegas shows. They give you a lot of entertainment value for your short cruise! The only negative is that they charge for the late-night adult comedy show, but we paid and enjoyed.

I could go on about this cruise line but I think the reader gets the picture. As I said in the Subject line, it's a surprisingly pleasant experience, and we had a great time! Less

Read more Bahamas Celebration cruise reviews >>