Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by DTMK: In a time of recession - RIP-OFF

In a time of recession - RIP-OFF

Sail Date: October 2013
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Barcelona

Dont get me wrong - the ship, the meals, the (free) entertainment and most other things were fantastic and I'd give them 5 out of 5. But, the price of alcohol was exorbitant - nearly three times the price of drink in Ireland and that ain't cheap. The price of excursions were ridiculous at $200 - $400 per person for a 7 or 8 hour day-trip.

When we arrived in Naples it was 'spilling out of the heavens' and i was surprised, and delighted to see a staff member handing out the plastic ponchos - only to discover that they were charging $3 for them, plus VAT @ 10%. Everything you bought on board was 'VAT extra' and the Alcohol had an added 15% 'Auto gratuity'. On our first night there I asked for a bottle of 'House White Wine' but was told they didn't 'do' House Wines' so, I ordered a bottle of Ruffino Pinot Grigio (about €7.50 at home) and the price was $30 Plus VAT $3 plus Auto-Gratuity $4.50 - a total of $37.50 - a total rip-off!!! You were allowed to bring your own wine but More were charged $15 corkage charge.

Again, to re-iterate, the rest of the cruise was fabulous, just where you had to spend money on the extras (which I thought were included), you were squeezed to within an inch of your wallet!

I would definitely go on a cruise again but I doubt if it'd be on a Norwegian Cruise Ship - but I'd check out all of which I got caught on this time. Less

Read more Norwegian Epic cruise reviews >>