Norwegian Gem Cruise Review by admittedlyfussy

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Norwegian Gem Cruise Review by admittedlyfussy
Norwegian Gem
Norwegian Gem
Member Name: admittedlyfussy
Cruise Date: October 2013
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Canada & New England
See More About: Norwegian Gem Cruise Reviews | Canada & New England Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Norwegian Gem Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Gem Deck Plans

If I had never been on a cruise before perhaps I would have found the Gem to be very nice but having cruised a few times before, on a different line, I must say that I doubt I would book a cruise on Norweigen again. Certainly not the GEM. I would rather pay a bit more up front and be sure to have consistantly excellent service and quality.

Perhaps due to the cruise line or as my husband tried to convince me a sign of the economic times?… I felt things were cheap…and corners were cut.

Was a nice, restful vacation with pleasant ports and lovely scenery.

I found that although most staff were helpful and pleasant we had some unpleasant experiences on this cruise.The entertainment was good BUT always way to LOUD in areas that were combined with other activities. People smoking in the casino was unpleasant had to walk through the casino to get to shows.

And activities... $70.00 to play BINGO????? $54.00 for soda?

I did not love the dining experience…The Garden cafe was OK... while serving area clean had ample stations so you did not wait on line as in most buffet settings, but it had boring food choices and steal bread! Breakfast on the deck was nice each morning, thank goodness we were lucky to have exceptionaly warm weather. But again poor bakery choices…(I did love the stewed tomatoes!)

Our first night dinner we planned the Grand Pacific (after attending the drill there- liked the atmosphere).Made reservations for 7 people (#in our traveling group). My husband and I were very excited to show how wonderful a dining experience on ship could be. Unforunately we were met with a waitress who made every request we had seem like she would have to cut off her hand and stop the boat to make it happen! Maybe silly but I expect to be able to order a shrimp coctail when I go out to dinner….appartently the only shrimp on the entire ship was 2mm sized canned shrimp…. really …the expetience went down hill from there….

We tried the Magenta the next night and found the staff to be MORE than accomodating ,pleasant and truely helpful. They had the spirit of cruising that I knew from prior experiences and we all decided that we would book our table and wait staff there for the remainer of the cruise.

It was troublesome (to me) to feel that I was hesitant to try the other dining options…It also felt very "nickle and dimed" if I would try to dine else where. The menus where OK but nothing was extraordinary... never once was filet mignon offered…again something I look for when I go out to dinner.

These are regular everyday options on Princess Cruise Line.

Activities in the main lobby of the ship that was open to 3 decks of dining options….was WAY to LOUD and would have ruined any other dining option (at an extra $$) I would have wanted to experience, like the Brazilian steak house. While they food looked amazing I must say …I found accidently ocassionally myself walking through the restraunt to get to my state room…the noise and thought of people walking past my table really was not appealling to have to pay an extra $20.00 each person!

was unfortunate that one of the main atractions for excursons was a National Park that I wanted to visit. Excursions were OK and staff was helpful and organized getting people on and off the ship.Tendering at ports was well run.

Disembarkation was initially chaotic due to most passingers carrying off there own luggage.The place we planned to meet our party was closed off , then we were unable to get on an elevator due to massive amount of luggage and people…every elevtor full, elderly people trying to carry luggage down stairs etc…Staff trying to keep things moving were loud and yelling at passingers causing chaotic atmosphere. lines were formed on the ship that wrapped around and through the ship …all very confusing and unnerving. Once people actually started leaving the ship it was smoother and went well once in terminal.

Publication Date: 10/24/13