Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by Pink Bon Bon: Fantastic Voyage on the SUN!!

Pink Bon Bon
Member Since 2012

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Norwegian Sun Panama Canal & Central America Cruises

Fantastic Voyage on the SUN!!

Sail Date: September 2013
Destination: Panama Canal & Central America
Embarkation: Los Angeles

This was our seventh cruise. First one with NCL. Previous cruises have been with RCCL, Celebrity, Carnival. I would not hesitate to take another voyage with NCL. The SUN is an outstanding ship.

POSITIVES:

EXCELLENT ENTERTAINMENT - Loved ALL the shows. The NCL Singers and dancers were the best we have seen. The comics, jugglers and magicians they brought on board were better than we have seen on other cruises. We also enjoyed the "Oh What a Night!" Tribute to Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons. The ship's band and Strictly Strings w/Amber Trio were great.

CRUISE DIRECTOR - The cruise director, Richard Matic, was very high energy. He was up early morning to late at night. Either Richard or his staff members were on hand to wish you a "good day" as you went ashore, and were there to welcome you back on to the ship. Snacks, refreshments and cool towels awaited us on our return to the ship.

FANTASTIC SERVICE - We experienced nothing but fantastic More service. All the servers in the bars and dining rooms were friendly and efficient. If something wasn't to your liking they would try their best to amend it. I ordered the cream of broccoli soup most nights in the Seven Seas Dining Room. Towards the end of the cruise it seemed like there was not enough broccoli in the soup. They would specifically add more broccoli to my soup each night after I mentioned this to them. The dining room manager bought us a drink to compensate for this. This is just one example of how they try to make your whole experience tremendous. Our cabin steward was also great. Anything we asked of her she would go out of her way to make sure it was done.

FOOD - while I can't quite give a full five stars for the food it does deserve about four stars. MOST of the food we experienced was great. There were a few items that were not up to par, but overall great food. I don't eat lobster but my husband said this was the best lobster he has had on any of our cruises. We did not eat at any of the specialty restaurants so my opinion of the food is only based on the Main Dining Rooms and Buffets. Some other previous reviewers have stated there is not enough variety. I did not find this to be the case. The Main Dining Rooms have the same menu for breakfast and lunch, but at night the selection on the left side of the menu changes and the right side stays the same. The buffets have the same TYPE of items every day just different varieties (EX: salads, fruit, meat carvery, pasta station, chicken dishes, vegetarian selections, curry dishes) There are made to order crepes in the Garden Buffet at night that are just outstanding. Also a chocolate fountain with dippers. We found out about this half way through the cruise and wished we would have known sooner. The little tapas selections at Las Ramblas were good. We did not eat in the Sports Bar. Our favorite place to eat other than the Seven Seas Main Dining room was the Great Outdoor. This is a beautiful restaurant at the back of the ship with its own buffet station. The bread products in all venues are second to none. This was our second experience with "anytime dining" and we love it. (our first was last year on Carnival)

SHIP: We felt the ship was kept super clean at all times. This is important to us. They were always keeping carpets cleaned and sanitized. The windows throughout the public venues were crystal clear. A crew member stands at the entrance to the buffet with hand sanitizer to clean your hands before entering. (their slogan is "Washy Washy - Happy Happy") The ship held motion very well. Very little motion for the whole 16 day cruise. Even when the weather was windy or rainy I did not feel motion and I am super sensitive to this. We thought the layout of the ship was great. Very easy to get around.

CRUISE CRITIC MEET AND GREET: The NCL staff set aside time in Las Ramblas for us to have our "meet and greet." They supplied us with cookies, coffee, juices, etc...also had the senior staff introduce themselves and answered any questions we had.

NEGATIVES:

There are not too many. The cabins are not supplied with bar soap unless you are in a suite. We had a port side aft balcony and the only types of soap provided are in the dispenser. I had to ask for bar soap which my cabin steward provided. When I asked her replacement (for the day) for a bar of soap he told me only suites get them. I don't feel clean when just using the shower gel and feel NCL should provide a choice. Our balcony had rusted areas. They do a great job of keeping the outside of the ship painted so nicely, why not keep the balcony floors looking as good?

THE DRINKS!! Unless you drink straight alcohol, beer or wine, you might be disappointed.

They have a drink special every day. We tried all of them and none of them were good. I don't know if the sweet and sour mix isn't to my liking but the drinks were just awful. The bartenders were friendly and made the drinks correctly. The mixers just were not that good. Less

Read more Norwegian Sun cruise reviews >>