Carnival Inspiration Cruise Review by Thommy_Boy: Great Cruise, Too short

Great Cruise, Too short

Sail Date: October 2013
Destination: Other
Embarkation: Los Angeles

This is my 9th cruise but my first review. I booked this cruise because Carnival had gotten rid of the Solo Supplement on this cruise and booked it about a month before cruise time. This was a 3 day cruise to Ensenada out of Los Angeles. This is the first time I have sailed out of Los Angeles. The cruise was fun with only a couple of small irritants that did not ruin my cruise.

I took the Carnival Transfer from LAX. That part went smooth. I received a call shortly after my plane arrived as I was walking to the baggage claim letting me know where to go and who to look for. Found her as soon as I hit the baggage claim area. Had maybe a 1/2 hour wait to board the bus. Met one of the comedians that was going to be performing on the ship. Chris Wiles. Great comedian.

The first irritant was when arriving at the cruise terminal. Got off the bus and there was only one porter. He took the bag and directed us to the dome building for checking since the Queen Mary was closed. I More head to the dome building. There are a bunch of people waiting outside. I see a I see a lady calling people to enter the building and she says to have your Zone card and S&S cards out. This is the only person I see directing people where to go so I ask her where I am to go to get signed in. She tells me to go to the Queen Mary. I report what the porter told us so she tells us to go stand in a line over there and points in the direction of a lot of people standing in a line. I go there and find out from others that they already have signed in and this is a line for people with there S&S cards already. They tell me to go to the Queen Mary. Me and a few other confused new arrivals head to the Queen Mary. Once we get close to that, we see some other workers and they tell us that the Queen Mary is closed and to head to this other line by the dome building. Sure enough there is a line that is forming in the middle of nowhere, no workers, no signs, nothing. We go there and this is the line to wait in to get called inside to get your S&S card.

We wait outside till they get all the people who already have their S&S card into the building. Then they let us in. We get inside and stand in line I am directed to for the counter. Shortly after that they open a second line for people who got there after me and they basically get to jump in front of a lot of people who where already there. These were not people who had FTTF or where platinum or diamond. They alternated between lines who went when the next desk worker was available.

I was slightly irritated, but got over it once I got my card and was headed to the ship. Got on the ship and headed to the Lido. Found a seat and settled in till the rooms were ready. At 1:30 I headed to my room and dropped off my carry on luggage.

That first evening I meet a great group of people. 3 couples. 2 couples came together and the 3rd couple they had met at their assigned dining table. Partied with them for the evening. Had a great time.

2nd day met up with the group in the morning and went to Ensenada with them. We went to Papa&Beers and had a great time with them. The bar is a wild place to go. We also went to the first place that made margarita. I ordered one and it was a strong margarita.

That evening I went to the Comedy Club. Both comedians where funny.

3rd day I hung out on the Lido deck and down by the Casino bar. I also tried my luck in the Casino and had none. The first night we also met another group of cruisers. They were Cowboy and Raider fans. Sat down with them on the 3rd day to watch some football. Watched my Chiefs beat the Raiders. Fun was had by all.

Later that evening I met up with 2 of the couples and we ended up going to the Comedy Club again. These were new shows by the same comedians. Another great night.

One issue I had was that I am normally on East Coast time and with being on the West Cost, it was hard to stay up for the late night activities.

One strange thing was that I never saw or met my room steward. Every other cruise I have been on I have met them and see them through out the day.

Food in the MDR was excellent and so was the service. I ate breakfast both 1st and 2nd morning in the DR. I also had lunch on the sea day in the DR.. Serves and food was excellent. I tried out had the burgers and hot dogs on the lido a couple of times and it was good. I also did the sandwich station. Excellent sandwich. Tried the pizza and it was just OK.

When I woke up on debarking I noticed on my bill that I was charged twice for a purchase on the last night. It was a $55 charge. I had an early flight (12:10) so I was self debarking. I gathered my stuff and headed to guest services. Thankfully the line was not that long. I got to the counter and the double billing had already been taken care of. At that time they had started to let people off the ship. Got in line and headed out. Debarking was quick and painless. Took the Carnival transfer to LAX and was sadly on my way home. Less

Read more Carnival Inspiration cruise reviews >>