Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by bklynangel: Carnival Splendor.....The good, the bad, and the ugly 10/08-16, 2013

bklynangel
Member Since 2007
1,960 Posts

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Carnival Splendor Bahamas Cruises

Carnival Splendor.....The good, the bad, and the ugly 10/08-16, 2013

Sail Date: October 2013
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

My husband and I booked this cruise throught the cruiseline about three months ago for my birthday celebration.As we usually do, we rode the Nj transit into the city. The train was so crowded, I was surprised to see that one lady on the train thought it was ok to sit on my husbands luggage. We walked to the pier from penn station.We arrived at the pier close to 1 and was escorted to a special boarding station where I was on the ship within minutes. I would say, my boarding experience was pleasant.

We were in a spa balcony cabin 1049 starboard, but at first, we walked into the wrong room. We were greeted by our cabin stewart, Rossario who told us to try the key, when the key didn't work, we checked again and finally found our room. We were close to the stairs and elevators and I never book that close to the hallway , but im glad I did. It was a great location and happy I upgraded from 7201 to 1049. As the week went on, I found that Rossario was excellent and really knew his More job. I didn't go one night without a towel animal and my room was always spotless.

The entertainment was just ok the first two days, but was excellent as the week went on.

The first two days were sea days and I found that although the Cruise director Malcolm was great, there wasn't too much to do on sea days, so we spent most of that time in the spa.

Now for the bad and ugly.

Dining.......

We always choose 6 pm dining because me and my husband have to eat by a certain time and both need to take meds the same time every night before 7 pm.

We were assigned table 615 in the black pearl dining room.

The first night, things seemed to be going ok, but then I received my food ice cold. I ate it because I blamed myself for my special diet. The second night, the same thing happened and I told my waiter who did nothing about it, so I went to Mr V ...The matre de and told him and from that day on my food was hot, but two hours late. My husband was offered 5 pieces of bread and two glasses of water for two hours straight until we got our food. The drinking water on the ship tastes bad and smells just like the toilet water.

Every night, even with my complaint, my food was late and a few times we had to take our desert to our room. Everyone in the dining room was finished eating desert and we didn't even get our food yet. The waiters started sweeping and cleaning while we were still eating and the 8 pm dining was coming in. The waiter even embarrassed me several times by bringing me two full plates of food . This was the most embarrassing dining experience I ever had .My special desert for my diet was cornstarch and soy milk mixed together which embarrassed me even more cause it looked like snot on a plate, The chef had no idea of how to make milk free deserts.

On sea days ( we had a total of four) it was breakfast for lunch in the dining room and on Port days the dining room wasn't open for lunch. The buffett was always crowded with no seating, so we ordered room service a lot.

The ports of Nassau and grand turk were just ok. Horse poop on the beach in grand turk and Nassau is just Nassau, but did make the best of it. The highlight was half moon cay, I really loved it there and the water was beautiful with lots to do there.

I do want to mention that there was some welding on the bottom area of the ship while we were in grand turk. I would say that the ship would need dry dock soon due to a lot of rust on the bottom part of the ship. Some parts of the ship are in good condition, but some are not.

Now to disembarkment....It was delayed due to a problem with the not so sturdy gangway so to sum up this review, I dont think I will be sailing carnival splendor in the future and I expect an apology from the cruiseline for the mishaps . This was a very disappointing cruise for me. Hopefully for those who are sailing her in the future, I hope you dot run into the issues I had. Everyones experience can be different, but mine wasn't good this time. Less

Read more Carnival Splendor cruise reviews >>