Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review by ed46

Member Name: ed46
Cruise Date: October 2013
Embarkation: Quebec City
Destination: Canada & New England
See More About: Norwegian Dawn Cruise Reviews | Canada & New England Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals

Fall Color Cruise

Our overall experience was positive, however, we would like to share a few items. In general the crew and service was very good. My wife and I did observe that the crew members went through all the right motions but not much enthusiasm was present. We just got a feeling they were tired and not much happiness existed among the crew members. This was quite apparent during the meal service. With a few exceptions, one server especially out-shined all others, and we made written recognition of this server.

Once getting on board we found our cabin to be in need of some deep cleaning and updating. The sofa was stained with who knows what, I have pictures. The drapes are so worn the light passes through in many areas. There are several scrapes and actual depressions on the areas of the walls. The non-skid surface on the balcony is so deteriorated that some trip and fall hazard exists. The balcony railing glass is so stained that it is nearly impossible to see through certain areas, some of the bolts that hold the wood railing are loose and some are missing. In general I believe it is time for a renovation and/or a minimum of a deep cleaning and maintenance campaign. This cabin's location was perfect for access to the buffet, one deck above, or for the dining room 4 decks below. The aft elevators are just a few feet away. We experienced no annoying noise levels or unusual sounds that disturbed our rest. The balconies are not especially private. The barrier which separates one from another is short of the rail allowing one to view the adjoining balcony. This cabin, being the last on deck 11, had only one adjacent cabin.

On two occasions the ship had to alter plans for getting passengers off the ship. Contingent plans may be written but the implementation was poor. Crew members seemed confused which added to delays and in some cases frustrations about connecting with purchased shore excursions. To continue on that vane, on one instance, if you did not have a Norwegian purchased excursion you were not allowed off until those with the Norwegian excursions were ashore, even though you had a shore excursion purchased through an outside vendor. Basically captive until they, the ship's staff, decided all was clear. I made the mistake of raising that issue with one of the crew members, I then received a lengthy lecture about the ships responsibility to it's customers, who was I ? I believe this crew member, about 1/3 my age, was way out of line, I actually had to stop his rant and requested he move away and stop speaking. I guess he just was sick and tired of dealing with us "demented senior citizens." Thank goodness this was an exception.

Publication Date: 10/22/13