Aurora Cruise Review by annetteom: Love it or hate it?

Aurora 3
annetteom
Member Since 2013

Family & Children 4.0

Love it or hate it?

Sail Date: September 2013
Destination: Mediterranean
Embarkation: Southampton

My husband loved it, I hated it.

It was our first cruise with our two children (age five and three). My husband loved the choice of food, the balcony, the smoothness of the ship, the formal dinners. I disliked the old people who were totally rude about our very well behaved daughters. I disliked the overt "British" feel of everything. All the food was geared towards old peoples tastes in the formal dining rooms. I hated lining up for my food in a gigantic canteen while my husband hunted with countless others for a table to become vacant, it felt like a prison.

The waiting staff were a credit to their (mostly) Goan origins, attentive, professional, charming and courteous.

The Children's Club was great. Our daughters really enjoyed attending and their portfolios at the end of the ten day trip showed just how much they had done - loads!

I thought the ports were, with the exception of Cadiz, pretty rubbish. Malaga, Vigo, Lisbon are seriously among the More most boring cities on earth...they're just ports.

I don't think it offers particular good value for money and I can't imagine taking another cruise...until I'm an octogenarian! Less

Published 10/22/13

Read more Aurora cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Aurora Review >>

Cabin review:

Our cabin was well appointed. As a suite, it had plenty space and storage for all four of us but it smelled musty and smoky and looked dated. The bathroom looked moldy even though I know it was cleaned thoroughly. The fold out sofa bed in the sitting room was possible the most uncomfortable bed I have ever slept on, it almost crippled me! The curtains that could be pulled to separate off the bedroom were very helpful to settle the children. The balcony was large and we were able to watch and photograph dolphins swimming alongside the ship several times.The cabin steward and our butler were wonderfully helpful and diligent.

Skip X