Westerdam Cruise Review by loveocean: Better Food-Better Service Please!

loveocean
Member Since 2013

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Westerdam Mexican Riviera Cruises

Better Food-Better Service Please!

Sail Date: October 2013
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: San Diego

We went on a theme cruise, The Soul Train Cruise. Everything regarding the actual soul train activities were superb! We had so much fun. We stayed in a room with a veranda. Our room was nice, with a nice view. Our cabin stewards were nice. Our luggage was destroyed by the Cruise ship. We spent part of our time in port looking for replacement luggage. Didn't like that. Our ceramics were destroyed after being removed from the ship to shore, even after packing it extremely well; funny how things can survive bi-coastal flights but not simple loading from shore to ship or vice versus. I don't know what Holland Cruise line uses to load and unload luggage. Whatever they use, it was detrimental to almost all of the pieces of luggage use. If the luggage was not destroyed, it was damaged.

Some of the Holland Cruise Line staff seemed reluctant to service many of the Soul Train passengers. They would often tell passengers that we were out things when they did not want to go replenish More supplies. For example, they would say there was no more syrup for pancakes and waffles. Who runs out of regular maple syrup when serving pancakes and waffles? We found maple syrup on the other side of the dinning room. There were several instances like this when it came to salad dressing, and dinner choices on the menu. We even had to convince the staff to accommodate three in our room booked for three: for example we requested to have three bath robes, three sets of towels, three drinking glasses and three chairs to sit out on the veranda--after all, we booked a room for three people, right?

The food in formal dinning room was OK. It was mostly bland food with little seasoning. Food on the rest of the ship was mass produced and tasteless. I found my self eating just to satisfy hunger and not for enjoyment. I probably lost weight on the ship (not that I didn't need to). I really looked forward to having good food. I was very disappointed. It was comparable to hospital or college dormitory food....I think it college dormitory food to be better.

The Soul Train entertainment and activities were absolutely fantastic!!! I would love to do the Soul Train Cruise again, but with another cruise line that is not associated with Carnival Cruise Corporation. Less

Read more Westerdam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Westerdam Review >>

Harbor Cruise

(2)

Boring, waste of money. It did not get close to the Arches. They served drinks but no food. Not worth the money. I think it was worth half of what we paide. Staff was very nice.

The Arch (El Arco) & Lover's Beach

He charged us a price to take us to the "Office" beach area to shop and tour the Los Arcos and Lovers Beach. It was great!!! The price was right as well. We enjoy this the most!!
Paradise Glass Bottom Boat with Daiel Parra Arvizu Capitan was a great experience. His cell: 624-358-0653. from the US: 01152-624-358-0653 Email: ventoenvela@yahoo.com.mx

Certified Scuba Diving

Fantastic dive instructor. This counted toward my certified dive training. The location was fantastic. Included a spectacular lunch with fantastic food. Drinks were great. I got to see a lot of underwater animals....it was an experience of a lifetime!

City Tour

He took us all over the city and to the outskirts of the city. We saw so much, including waterfalls. We got to eat where locals eat, that was our request. It was great!!!! We got a driver for the day and he took us everywhere.