Carnival Sensation Cruise Review by wranglerguy: B2B Oct 6 and Oct 10 Awesome Sensation cruise

wranglerguy

B2B Oct 6 and Oct 10 Awesome Sensation cruise

Sail Date: October 2013
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

A quick review of the Carnival Sensation. We did a back to back cruise to get DW to platinum before Jan 1 2014. I will be two cruises short but get the benefits by proxy. We picked the Sensation mainly because it fit our schedule (fall break for the kids in school) we did the Oct 6 (4 day) and Oct 10 (3 day) to make a 7 days total. I was a bit nervous because the Sensation has gotten some bad reviews here of late. My wife went on the sensation February 2013 as well and we went on it in 2008 for our honeymoon. We booked an ocean view to keep the cost down; also an added tip is to book the same cabin for both legs so you don’t have to pack up between cruises. Overall we had a blast and would cruise the Sensation again in a heartbeat. The ship was in great condition and the crew was very friendly. I would even say better than my previous cruise on the Dream. It’s just something about the smaller ships and extra personnel service provided because the ship wasn’t as busy More or packed full of people as the bigger ships are.

I think the Sensation gets a bad rap because it only does 3 and 4 day cruise (aka booze cruise) so people go on it to party their butts off and kind of taint the whole cruise experience for someone thinking this is a norm for all cruises. I will admit the 3 day leg of our cruise was drastically different than the 4 day leg.

A few observations

Chair hogging wasn’t as bad as I have seen but still there; it did look like they were using the sticker tracker at least.

MDR service was fast, I think carnival has fixed it finally

Food was always hot and good in the MDR

Lido deck buffet was the usual nothing fancy

The new pizza crust sucks

Deli was awesome

Bar service throughout the ship was awesome. Never had to wait more then maybe 5 minutes to get served.

Room steward was very good and friendly. His name was Bruce but be transferred to the Sunshine after our first leg of the cruise. He personally brought his replacement by to meet us before he left. We had cabin M66.

Cabin M66 was an awesome cabin; I was a bit worried about this cabin because of its location to an elevator and stair well. We never heard and noises coming from the stair well or elevator.

Smoking was all over but in the designated places so can’t really complain about it.

Comedy shows, this area might be an area that might be going on a downward spiral. We had two comedians. The first one was funny but the second guy (can’t remember his name) was rude and not really that funny. We usually go to the family orientated shows (2 kids) his opening line was if that baby doesn’t shut up I am going to punch it! You guessed it I hate kids! He said that over and over throughout his set. We would have gotten up to leave if we didn’t think we would get heckled by him when we walked out. The second leg they brought in another comedian and she was funny.

We don’t go to the production shows

Now our port experience

4 day was Freeport and Nassau

Freeport- we were going to just stay on the ship and enjoy the day but decided to take a taxi to Port Lacaya and get a day pass at the Grand Lucayan. It turned out to be the highlight of our trip. Very nice hotel resort great beach/pool combo. I would recommend it any day.

Nassau we did another day pass at the British Colonial Hilton, very nice resort. A bit pricey but that’s standard in the Bahamas.

3 day was only Nassau

We walked around to the town, checked out the pirate museum and walked to fat Tuesdays. Also walked down to the fish fry and had a snack. Then back to the ship.

Overall we loved it and enjoyed the cruise very much. Less

Read more Carnival Sensation cruise reviews >>