Disney Dream Cruise Review by YoungGangMom: What was all the hype about?!

YoungGangMom
Member Since 2009

Cabin Not Rated
Family & Children 3.0

Compare Prices on Disney Dream Bahamas Cruises

What was all the hype about?!

Sail Date: October 2013
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

First of all I will start with what was the most impressive, the customer service and the quality of food, Our cabin steward was awesome (thanks Igor), and the meals the best of our cruising experience.

This was our fourth cruise, first on Disney. We have previously sailed on Carnival and Royal Caribbean. We did our research, watched the videos, and spoke with people we knew. The whole family, myself, husband, son age 12 and daughter age10 were left feeling a sense of disappointment. Maybe the trip was too short, out others were 7 nights, or perhaps we built it up in our minds to big, (although it was a surprise for the kids).

We enjoyed a show, The Golden Mickey's, but overall felt a lack of activities and mystery over who this cruise is really for. The bars were plentiful for the adults, but the entertainment was lack luster or non existent. The Atrium performers, we found to be terrible, we ran every time we heard them. The children's clubs were ok, and even More though they are bigger than the other cruise lines, most often lacked structure. Pirate night was cute, the fireworks a little short, but not bad, and the menu was gross, for a lack of a better term. None of like of food this one night only. Halloween on the High Seas was fun and probably the best night on the ship. The kids received bags with candy in the stateroom and received more candy during the atrium event.

The strangest thing to us was the dining. There are two seating's, understood. However we had never been on a cruise ship before where the buffet closed at 6pm. My husband and I had adult only reservations at Palo and Remy and my thought we would take the kids to the buffet before for dinner (or brunch as it was in on case). To our dismay, breakfast was entirely shut down at 10:30 am and dinner at 6pm. The only other options are the extremely limited room service or Flo's café which was basically junk food and even that was not open full service at 6:60 pm.

On another note, we participated in the FE exchange which exceeded our expectations, but was entirely due to the passengers and not affiliated with the cruise line.

We are a Disney family, having been to Disneyland several times, Disney World three times and Disney Paris once, the cruise was the next logical step, however it will also be our last. I think it would be more ideal if we had done this when the kids were 5 or 6 and we had not cruised other lines before. I would give the cruise and overall grade of C. Less

Read more Disney Dream cruise reviews >>