Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review by debeene: The Good, The Bad and The Grandeur

debeene
Member Since 2013

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Grandeur of the Seas Bermuda Cruises

The Good, The Bad and The Grandeur

Sail Date: September 2013
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: Baltimore

The Good:

This had to be the easiest and most hassle free embarkation of any cruise I have ever taken. I was amazed at how quickly we were on board. The ship is nicely decorated and well maintained. Service in the main dining room was attentive and the food was good. My favorite place for lunch and afternoon snacks was the Park Café. They have a great selection of sandwiches, soups and salads. Everything I had there was great. Even though the ship was sailing at capacity, it never felt crowded. Room Service was great. It was always on time with a reminder call prior to arrival. Disembarkation was a breeze as well.

The Bad:

I bought the specialty dining package. Chops was wonderful with great service. Izumi is complicated because they charge a 5.00 cover charge and then you are charged for each item you order. I don't quite understand a 5.00 cover charge when you are already paying per item plus you are being charged 12.00/day for tips. The food at More Izumi was OK but not outstanding. The service was great. Warning: If you want regular coffee after your meal at Izumi, you will pay. Giovanni's Table was a huge disappointment. The food was marginal and the waiter disappeared as he was busy with a larger party. I would not recommend the dining package. Also, if you purchase a bottle of wine and then go to a specialty restaurant, there is a 2.00 charge for them to bring the wine to anther dining venue. Nobody tells you that you will be charged, but it certainly appears on your bill. My only other gripe involves the cabin steward who was apathetic and on one night of the cruise, did not turn down the room or change the towels. Even after call for fresh towels, the room was still not serviced. Royal Caribbean does not furnish ice in the room so be prepared to ask for it. My advice is to avoid the Windjammer Café. It is chaotic, noisy and the food is tasteless. I read other reviews about a sewage smell on board and I am here to report that it is true. There is a sewage smell on deck 4 near the front of the ship and there was a strong smell on embarkation day by the Schooner Bar. This ship has a funky smell!

The Grandeur:

The ship is in great shape and well maintained. Public areas are very nicely decorated. Entertainment was ok. The aerialists are not up to par with Cirque du Soliel. There were always plenty of deck chairs if you are willing to get away from the main outdoor pool. As far as the staff go, they were either very personable or NOT. There seems to be no middle ground. My previous cruise was on Norwegian and all of the staff were extremely polite and friendly. Overall, this was a very pleasant cruise to Bermuda and the trip was very enjoyable. Less

Read more Grandeur of the Seas cruise reviews >>