Carnival Triumph Cruise Review by JennSTX: Best cruise yet!

JennSTX

Best cruise yet!

Sail Date: October 2013
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Galveston

Just got back (well yesterday) from a five day cruise with my 7yo son. We had a BLAST!

This is the 3rd time I've sailed on the Triumph but 1st since it was overhauled after the infamous "poop cruise".

It is SO MUCH better now! They fixed the pool area and it looks amazing and it is so much more fun. The hot tub is no longer smack dab behind glass which made it impossible for anyone on the deck to see anything - now they have TWO new hot tubs pushed back and the new pool is so so so so much more inviting with a shallow ledge around the deep part so that you can sit on the ledge but in the water, moms with babies can have a place to let the little kids splash and you can swim. Our cruise was packed with not as many kids and even with nothing but sunny, calm seas and warm weather and tons of people on the Lido deck it never felt too packed.

The burgers were amazing but my son and I prefer dining in the dining room breakfast & dinner - it doesn't feel like a More cruise to stand in line at a buffet.

The crew were MUCH friendlier and more attentive this cruise, not sure why but it was just much better all around.

The magic show was a real Las Vegas-style magic show and I've seen all the other shows, but this one was a real eye popping "wow" show. If you don't see anything else on board, I would definitely watch this one.

Shore excursions - Progreso is very intimidating if you don't speak Spanish and we were warned by Carnival staff to not buy any jewelry there because very little, if anything, is "real" or even close to real. We decided to do the all-inclusive Beach Resort day and boy am I glad that we did that. It was perfect, there was a pool, a nice beach, as much food and alcohol as you could drink and a very pleasant drive on an air conditioned bus past mangroves and flamingos. We had a blast playing in the sun all day long.

Cozumel - All About Rays & Shopping. I managed to score some amazing pearls and this time I went to the Shopping Info "class" on the boat so I felt a lot more educated on where to go and what to say. If you tell the shopping expert on board the ship (this blond lady named...uhh..Julie??) what you want to shop for she will write your name, give you a VIP card and usually you will even get a free gift for going.

Also I was worried when booking room 1104 (Spa Deck) that it would be noisy due to Camp Carnival and the lack of roof over our balcony would be an issue. The only time noise was a factor was once we were trying to nap around 2:30 after swimming all morning and there was some class going on above our heads, but still - we managed to sleep. Not having a roof was actually great! I got to lay out on the deck with full sun one afternoon and wear a swimsuit that was so tiny I would not have worn on the Lido deck. LOLOL There are people who can crane over and see you but it's very remote and not a problem.

Great trip!! Less

Read more Carnival Triumph cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Triumph Review >>

Stingray Swim

All about Rays was a VERY VERY fun excursion. You get to snorkel and see some huge fish, rays and colorful little fish, you get to also spend time in the shallows with the rays that move around your feet and you get to hold them. It's so awesome. Also they do hermit crab races, there are parrots, iguana, snacks & drinks. Also, when you are done with the formal snorkel and shallow part you can swim and jump off of a really fun water trampoline. The staff was very knowledgeable and attentive and the excursion felt very safe and very fun. We had a BLAST at this excursion!

Traveled with a 7 yo son. Perfect excursion for us! We decided to do the all-inclusive Beach Resort day and boy am I glad that we did that. It was perfect, there was a pool, a nice beach, as much food and alcohol as you could drink and a very pleasant drive on an air conditioned bus past mangroves and flamingos. We had a blast playing in the sun all day long. They do have a separate play area for smaller kids with a little slide that even my 7 yo had fun playing on. The food was delicious and the waiters were very attentive. Tipped them $5 and it was appreciated.

Read 285 Progreso Reviews