Silver Shadow Cruise Review by PJAUSTRALIA: Wonderful first ocean cruise

Wonderful first ocean cruise

Sail Date: September 2013
Destination: Asia
Embarkation: Vancouver

My husband and I had never been interested in cruising but after a 10 Day river cruise in Burma last year, we decided to try an ocean cruise and having been recommended and settled on Silver Seas, we were not disappointed. Here are the things we loved, embarkation was seamless, our cabin was spacious and well appointed and Gertha our Cabin Cleaner was a delight and very thorough, the restaurants had a good ambience, the staff were absolutely professional and the choice and quality of dishes was good, the complementary wines were fine, although the dessert wines were woeful, we did indulge in copious quantities of Cloudy Bay ($40.00 a bottle extra) when a fellow cruiser discovered that it was on board, in room dining was good too, but sometimes delivered lukewarm!

The entertainment on board was great, from the accomplished pianist in the bar to the nightly shows and the lectures in between. Tammy's efforts in trying to teach us Bridge were greatly appreciated and our lack of More progress was in no way a reflection of Tammy's teaching skills. We loved the camaraderie and rivalry particularly over the table tennis and trivia, go Egg Heads... It can't be easy but Dirk handled the entertainment with aplomb and we thoroughly enjoyed the last show. Things that could have been done better...when we arrived on board, I was expecting to be asked to choose which bathroom amenities we wanted, how and with what we wanted the refrigerator stocked with and whether I wanted our butler to unpack our clothes (not that we did) but it didn't happen and I felt a little let down (having said that we did have to leave the ship soon after embarkation to pick up something and that could well have interfered with the process?). I made a mistake in not booking onshore excursions which, after talking to those that did, I will be doing next time but the two that we did belatedly book, were great and seamless.

The fitness centre was small but very well equipped and Tomaz was a great Pilates / Yoga instructor and ran a rigorous fitness class.

I unexpectedly enjoyed the prescribed dress codes which I had been dreading; our fellow cruisers were largely delightful and engaging.

All in all this was a wonderful holiday which my husband and I thoroughly enjoyed, so much so, that we have booked another for next year. Less

Read more Silver Shadow cruise reviews >>