Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by ljcbrown

Member Name: ljcbrown
Cruise Date: October 2006
Embarkation: Galveston
Cabin Category: 8A
See More About: Carnival Conquest Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Carnival Conquest - Eastern Caribbean
This was the first cruise for both myself (25F) and DH (32). We gave this to ourselves for our five year anniversary. Sunday: Husband and I make the four hour trip to Galveston with no problem. We get to the EZ Cruise parking area at about noon where we had pre-paid but we still waited in a long line to park. We finally get to the terminal only to see an outrageously long line. I had heard on average the wait was an hour, well it took us three hours. The whole time we were thinking thank God we didn't bring our 2 1/2 yo daughter. Finally get on board and head up to get a slice of pizza. The pizza was only ok. We get to our room (7341) and our bags were already there. We took time to unpack and met our steward Maria, who was wonderful. Every time she would see us in passing she would greet us each by name. We pretty much just hung around, had a few drinks and waited for dinner. We had the 8:30 seating in the Renoir room. Our servers were Olga and John (Evegny). They were wonderful. I truly believe they made our vacation.

Ok, this seems to be getting long so I won't go day by day. In general we had a great time. We met some really interesting people.

Food & Drinks: The drinks were pretty good the food was only ok. As far as food goes I am somewhat picky. I'm a nutritionist with a love of cooking, so I can tell quality when I see it. Some times I saw it, some times I didn't. I will say I never went hungry. I think my favorite things were the jerk pork tenderloin and a pasta dish one night that had turkey and asparagus. I only had the pasta as an appetizer but it was delicious. The tiramisu was wonderful. I think my biggest disappointment was the grand gala midnight buffet. My husband and I skipped dinner that night because we really wanted to be hungry for the buffet and we usually did not finish dinner until almost 10 p.m. The midnight buffet was a sham. Don't skip dinner for it.

Spa: I used the spa twice and thought it was only ok. Definitely overpriced so wait for port days where they run specials.

Jamaica: Went to Sunset Beach and LOVED IT!!!! My husband and I are talking about just going here next time. The staff was very friendly, food was delicious. They served an open air buffet with BBG ribs, chicken, plantains, rice, beans, desserts. It was some of the best food I had the whole trip. The drinks were great, especially the fresh banana daiquiris.

Grand Cayman: Shopped and went to 7 mile beach. Beach was wonderful but everything was very expensive. We really didn't have much time in port so I don't have to strong of an opinion.

Cozumel: Tulum Ruins, and it was great. Our tour guide was Miguel and he was fabulous. For such a young man it was astounding how much he knows about the Mayan culture. You could tell that he had a real passion for what he was doing. I have taken many tours around the world and he was the best and most informative guide ever.

Last days on ship are a blur. We pretty much just stayed out by the pool having drinks and enjoying each other. Karaoke was really fun.

Will we cruise again, probably not. Not that any particular thing was wrong, we just prefer having more time on locations, such as Jamaica.

Pros: Jazz Trio at Alfreds - absolutely wonderful Drinks- they had a good selection and the price wasn't bad Service - I had nothing but top notch service

Cons: Piano Bar- Eric was only ok. Every song we asked he said he didn't know Food - I think I had just heard it hyped up so much I was disappointed Music on the lido deck by the pool. - If I never hear the Backstreet Boys again I will be a happy woman. Motion Sickness - get the patch from your doctor

Publication Date: 11/13/06