Oosterdam Cruise Review by TrixieLou: Lackluster Ship - Fabulous Scenery and Ports

TrixieLou
Member Since 2009

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Oosterdam Alaska Cruises

Lackluster Ship - Fabulous Scenery and Ports

Sail Date: September 2013
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

We were on one of the last Alaska cruises of the season. Due to crazy weather conditions, our itinerary was changed and we missed one port - Sitka. Disappointing but trust that the captain knows best. They added a full day in Victoria, BC so no complaints.

I found my first Holland America cruise to be pretty lackluster. The ship is lovely but the entertainment on board is truly awful. The piano bar entertainer was the worst I've ever encountered. The singers in the "big shows" should learn to sing together and in the same key. I'd add a few consonants as well. I knew some of the songs they were singing and still couldn't understand the words. I felt like they were doing "cruise ship entertaining" which I find insulting. The HalCats sounded pretty good but they were not at all engaging. I didn't see / hear any of the classical musicians. The Dancing With The Stars final competition was poor. Only one of the "pros" knew how to ballroom dance. The show was poorly attended as More well so I think the word is out that this is a bad idea.

Casino was small and filled with the rudest smokers that I've ever encountered. I had two blow smoke directly toward me while I was at a slot machine. I much prefer NCL and their non-smoking areas in the casinos.

Cabin was lovely and we were exceptionally well taken care of by our room stewards.

Food was dull and salty. The Mexican buffet on the Terrace Grill was good but it had no change from day to day. Only ate in main dining room once because the meal took forever and it wasn't terribly exciting. They kept closing one of the drink areas in the buffet area so by the time you got your food and drink to the table, the food was cold. Service in the Lido buffet was sketchy.

On the positive side - Alaska is gorgeous and we love watching the scenery from our balcony. Ports were great and despite the dull food and crappy entertainment, we had a great time. Hey, it's a cruise to Alaska, how bad can it really be? Less

Read more Oosterdam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Oosterdam Review >>

Dog Sledding

Juneau was great. We took the Dog Sled Excursion and it was lots of fun. Great bus driver who gave lots of information. The dogs and puppies were amazing. Juneau is a lot of fun to wander around. Boat docks right in the heart of everything. Since were were on the last cruise of the season, there were some good sales.

Lumberjack Show

The Lumberjack Show is fun and silly. Totally worth the ticket price. Loved wandering around Ketchikan. We went to the Totem Heritage Museum on our own via public transportation - very easy and free. Even saw the salmon swimming upstream! Enjoyed visiting Creek Street and Dolly's House. Really great port.