Caribbean Princess Cruise Review by laughing husky

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Caribbean Princess Cruise Review by laughing husky
Caribbean Princess
Caribbean Princess
Member Name: laughing husky
Cruise Date: September 2013
Embarkation: New York (Brooklyn, Red Hook)
Destination: Canada & New England
See More About: Caribbean Princess Cruise Reviews | Canada & New England Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals

What a great Itinerary..

Just got back from the CB and had a wonderful cruise. It was a last minute cruise and we had cabin R742...Last balcony cabin aft on the Port Side. Loved the cabin and would get it again in a minute. Quiet, one side completely blocked the wind and covered which is good for a New England cruise. I understand that the week before the weather was not so good, but this week, it could not have been more perfect. Arrived the night before and stayed at the Brooklyn Comfort Inn. Good place for a night....Clean, cheap, comfortable and a free shuttle to the pier. Best of all, it may be an industrial neighborhood but walk a couple of blocks.( and yes, it is safe) and you come to Columbia Avenue....More great and inexpensive restaurants of all kinds....and a wine store that sells wine several bucks cheaper than across the tunnel. In fact, if you like Thai food, one of the best Thai restaurants in the country is located there....Called Pok Pok...Check it out....that is worth going to Brooklyn....:)

Had a good nights sleep and the shuttle took us to the ship about 11 AM.....It took about 10 minutes to get on board. We brought 3 bottles of wine which they checked and stamped one....which promptly fell out of the backpack on the way up the gangway...and shattered into a gazillion pieces....and closed down the gangway....:(....was settled into the cabin and unpacked and explored the ship. The ship is in good repair...I saw nothing shabby about it at all. Even the bed was too bad...The room steward was great....Could not ask for a better one.

The itinerary was a 7 day New England and Canadian cruise. It went to Boston, Newport, RI, Bar Harbor, ME, St John, New Brunswick and Halifax, Nova Scotia. Although I am originally from NYC and have gone to most of those places numerous times, it was the first time from a ship. I have never been to the Canadian Ports on the East Coast. It was one of the better itineraries that I have been on.

I have sailed about 10 times with Princess. The ship is like all of the other grand ship class. It has Sabatini's and a Crown Grill, as well as an International Cafe. I was disappointed with the food on this trip, both in the MDR and in the Horizon Grill. It was not bad, but it was not the food that they have had in the past...even a year or so ago. I understand the cost cutting, but I wish they would do it elsewhere. The menu's were pared down, and the HG offered less of a selection than I have ever seen. The staff was GREAT....absolutely no problems there. The up keep of the ship seemed good. Everything worked and worked well. Sabatini's was good, not spectacular but I thought it was better than the MDR. We chose anytime dining because of the shore tours and it worked very well. We never had to wait over 5 minutes and rarely that. We ate at various times from early to late and everything in between, so I think that time did not make a difference on this cruise. We took only one ship's tour and that was in Boston to the Adams homestead and the JFK library. It was excellent. Adams farm was outside of Boston and we took a tour because of that. It was a good thing that we did as there was a huge fire that messed up all of the traffic...If we hadn't been on the tour, it would have been rough going. Formal nights were mostly business dress...It was a full ship and I saw only 4-5 dinner jackets on the men and very few formal dresses on women. My husband, because of luggage restrictions, wore a jacket and a tie. I was bound that I was not carrying a lot of luggage as I already had a 15 hr flight to get to Brooklyn...Our roll call on CC was somewhat dismal......and it was almost a full ship. There were not many people in the Platinum/Elite happy hour group and the dining rooms seemed mostly empty at times. It was a bit chilly for me for MUTS but apparently a lot of people enjoyed it. At night, there was plenty to do and they had all the standard Princess shows and lines of entertainment. Few people danced...I think the average age on this particular cruise was 109. I saw very few kids on board and few under 40-45 yrs of age. However, it was one of the nicest cruises I have ever taken. I think that Halifax should be an overnight stop as there is so much to do there. All in all, it was good and I would do it again.

Disembarkation was done quickly and without problem. I changed the times of our disembark and had a car (Carmel) waiting for us to take us to our hotel in NYC. Again, a Comfort Inn on 35th st. Cheap (for NYC) and an excellent location. Subway at the corner,, 1/2 block from Macy's and about 2 blocks from Lord and Taylor's on 5th Avenue. It is located on 35th St between 5 and 6th Ave. A cruise without problems and good weather....:) Will do it again. BTW, outside of Halifax I saw the best little beach ever outside of the Carribean..Absolutely beautiful....powder white sand....seemed strange without palm trees....LOL

Publication Date: 10/09/13