Pride of America Cruise Review by a1963corvette: Typical mega cruise - awesome stops!

a1963corvette
Member Since 2013

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Pride of America Hawaii Cruises

Typical mega cruise - awesome stops!

Sail Date: September 2013
Destination: Hawaii
Embarkation: Honolulu

We booked NCL's Pride of America, because we wanted to see a little of several of the Hawaiian islands and it proved a good way to do that. But past the great stops, everything about this cruise was decidedly average.

I'll go over the cabin below, just one word now - tiny. I can't imagine what the lower category rooms are like. I doubt ours was 160 sq. ft. My wife and I are both on the small side and we could not pass each other between the wall and foot of the bed. With chairs and small table there was barely room to stand on our balcony. The furnishings in the room were nicely finished and looked like they belong on this ship, but they left very little room for your things. The one piece molded bathroom was quite a feat of engineering to get sink, toilet, and shower in about a 3' x 3' space. However, if you are tall or heavy, I think you will find showering a challenge it the space allotted. We actually heard of couples sharing one of these rooms and the cruise line says it More will sleep 3-4. Maybe, but you better really like each other and remember that may change by the end of the week.

The ship has undergone a recent make over and you can see that much of the décor is new. However most of it is so over-the-top, you can't help but think Vegas - only without any class. Yes, the Pride is more gaudy than Sin City.

Further, expect all the standard add on charges of the mega cruise lines. They love to advertise that low all-inclusive price, but it's a scam. You will pay extra for lots of things - besides alcohol, spa service and shore excursions (the only things that should be extra IMHO). I would much rather pay a higher price up front than be nickeled and dimed for sodas, juices, cabin service, tips, internet, "specialty" restaurants, and even milk shakes ($4.50++). Come on!

Next if the boat is full, the buffets will take on a zoo-like feeding frenzy atmosphere. The sit down restaurants are a much calmer choice, but shore excursion timing will often leave "the trough" as your only option. NCL has secured the usual cast of entertainment staff - some talented, most not so much. Shows will be mixture of OK to - if you butcher one more Eric Clapton cover, I'm throwing you and that Stratocaster overboard! Food is edible banquet quality with an occasional shining moment. I would not pay the up charge for the specialty restaurants. The general consensus was that they are better, but not worth the additional fee. Bottom line - this is a very good way to get a fine overview of four of the Hawaiian islands, but for maximum enjoyment spend as much time as possible off the Pride of America. Less

Read more Pride of America cruise reviews >>