Norwegian Gem Cruise Review by YogiYorg: You are entering THE TWILIGHT ZONE - The Norwegian Gem 9/14/2013

YogiYorg
Member Since 2012

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Norwegian Gem Canada & New England Cruises

You are entering THE TWILIGHT ZONE - The Norwegian Gem 9/14/2013

Sail Date: September 2013
Destination: Canada & New England
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

BEWARE!!! - Beyond is another dimension, you have just crossed over into The Norwegian Gem, The Twilight Zone. Do Do, Do Do, Do Do, Do Do!!!!!!!

Could this really be REAL?? Embarkation NIGHTMARE!!! Four cruise ships in port and the Manhattan Cruise ship terminal is paralyzed. Hundreds of people are delayed in the terminal with no place to go while the process is HAULTED. An announcement is made that the embarkation process will have to WAIT. Oh No, Why and for how long??? Do Do, Do Do, Do Do, Do Do........ You have entered the confines of THE TWILIGHT ZONE

Now you enter the Norwegian Gem. A ship designed like no other I have seen, and this was my 17th cruise. You finally, and I do mean FINALLY get to go on board The Twilight Zone, I mean the Norwegian Gem. You fight for a table for lunch, but I was sorta use to that. Looks normal so far I guess. Little do you know that the staff aboard the Norwegian Gem doesn't realize that their ship is STRANGELY DIFFERENT than most More all other cruise ships, and not in a good way. Do Do, Do Do, Do Do, Do Do......

You get to your stateroom and it seems like it is the smallest room I have ever been in on a cruise ship. No matter, I turn on the TV, but what is this??? Shore excursions are playing for two days into the voyage for the Bahamas, but we are going to Nova Scotia. Can we really book those? Perhaps in another dimension in space and time. The Twilight Zone begins....Do Do, Do Do, Do Do, Do Do......

Time for dinner. The Grand Pacific is tiny. Nice but tiny. What is this? I have to take a buzzer and wait 45 minutes to enter? Oh no, what is this line for? Oh, this line is the line to wait for a buzzer. Well, at least I have my buzzer. How can this be? The Gem has green dots on the dining board suggesting all is well BUT IT ISN'T. I ask in disbelief. "Why does the message board say all is ok for the Grand Pacific when it is clearly not?" The reply? Oh sir, you can't rely on that board, disregard it. Ok, but why HAVE IT IN THE FIRST PLACE???? This can't be happening. I must be in the Twilight Zone.

No matter, I am FINALLY in for dinner. I order onion soup and Prime Rib. MISTAKE!!! But I didn't know, really I didn't. The onion soup was broth with a little crouton like cheese and bread in the middle. No onions, little cheese, little taste. Ok, skip that. My medium Prime Rib didn't look like Prime Rib. Didn't taste like Prime Rib. Is it Prime Rib? Just terrible and paper thin. No matter I am done.

Time for the show!! On nuts. I missed it The wait for dinner was so long that the show is over. What? only one show tonight? No matter I am tired so we will go rest in our stateroom. I know our bed will be turned down and maybe a candy treat awaits. Enter the stateroom, but our cabin steward hadn't been there. In fact I haven't seen him. Do we have one? No matter, I will turn down the bed myself.

Nice towel animals. But wait, where are the towels in the bathroom? No matter I'll call our cabin steward. He must have forgot. How do I do that? There is no number for Housekeeping. They don't want me to call!!! I'll call the front desk, I hope zero works on the phone!! What's this?? I have to disassemble the towel animal to use it for the bathroom because he is out of towels? Do Do, Do Do, Do Do, Do Do...

I will go to the front desk and see if the staff realizes this is the Twilight Zone Ship. They don't realize that their ship is different than any other cruise ship I have ever been on. I have to enlighten them as they seem nice enough. It is my duty. Oh wait, they don't understand. You mean there is no waiting for dinner on other ships? ( NO THERE IS NOT). Surely our food is top notch, isn't it (WORST I HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED). The Norwegian Gem suffers from lack of attention to details, poor organization mainly from a poorly designed ship and weird things that happen constantly that shouldn't happen. One thing is for sure. The Norwegian Gem has taken every possible step to remove anything that would cost them an extra dime. Case in point - No bar soap in the bathroom (UNLESS YOU ASK FOR IT). Many other examples. Try to get coffee? They have coffee but no cups. Cups but no coffee. Coffee and Cups but no cream or milk. I walked around with a coffee cup with milk but no coffee. I'll just sip the milk. Spoons? what are they? None of the silverware comes with spoons. No matter I will use my fork if I could only find coffee.

No matter, my vacation is over. Gee that Carnival cruise we took last years sure looks pretty good now. Back to reality the Twilight Zone Cruise is over. Less

Read more Norwegian Gem cruise reviews >>